definition of fascism?

alright i just want the definition of the word "fascism" i checked it out on wikipedia and i got this:

Fascism is a totalitarian nationalist political ideology and mass movement that is concerned with notions of cultural decline or decadence, and which seeks to achieve a millenarian national rebirth by exalting the nation or race, as well as promoting cults of unity, strength and purity.[1][2][3][4][5]

honestly i don't understand a word of that... so could someone give me a pretty simple yet detailed definition of this word.

O_o

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Funny, how you can KNOW what something is, but defining it is a whole different story!

Totalitarian - extremely centralized government, with only one very strong leader or a small coalition of very strong leaders...also known as a dictatorship.

Nationalist - meaning, especially in this sense very extremely, that the government is all about the nation, about strengthening the nation, and generally by using prejudiced tactics to make people agree that theirs is the best nation. (think villifying all non nationals)

cultural decline - a feeling that the things that made a country great at one time are fading...all things folkloric are being absorbed into some other culture...a sense of extreme (there's that word again) nostalgia for the "good old days" especially when one's country was the most powerful or more powerful than it is now. (think: ________ - fill in the blank with any nation - are devils, dogs, etc.)

Millenarian rebirth - I'm not really sure how this works in, but millenarian means thousand year as in a cycle so, meaning a rebirth of power that cycles around every thousand years or so.

exalting a nation or race - making the people feel that they are better than any other people or country.

Okay, do you KNOW a totalitarian government? Apply that the the Third Reich of Germany (Hitler), and it will all make sense. Or the Soviet Union (esp under Stalin), or Spain (Franco), or Italy ( Moussolini) Argentina under the Perons. All fascist governments. If you apply the term correctly to the appropriate governments, it makes more sense.

Also, you could apply Saddam Hussein, the Ayatollah Khomeini, probably whoever is in charge of Iran today, and Whatever His Name is in North Korea right now...I always get it in the wrong order, but Kim il Jong, or Kim Jong Il, or whatever. And Idi Amin, and Qaddafi, every time I go to post, I remember another one!

Of course the language usedn the definition didn't help much. Sometimes, History writers are notoriously big on showing off their PhD vocabularies, without caring who their audience is!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.