How will Universal Health care effect the Insurance companies and the Physicians?

• ARBOB
    Favorite Answer

Great question. Banks going under now, insurance companies and physicians, hospitals and clinics next if universal health comes in. Canada is a perfect example. And residents up there come into the US for the healthcare they need.

Obama's plan is that if you have insurance you will keep what you have, it's not like everyone is going to just switch to a government health insurance plan. People are very misinformed about Obama's plan.

There will still be private insurance plans. It will just insure that the people who are currently uninsured are able to get insurance.

"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is the amount of money you will spend on premiums. That will be less. If you are one of the 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will have it after this plan becomes law. No one will be turned away because of a preexisting condition or illness.”"

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

And by the way, doctors can't even practice solo in this country anymore due to the ridiculous costs of malpractice insurance and the fact that a majority of the time they get denials from insurance companies for any glitch in the claim or for really any reason and the patients don't feel it is their responsibility to pay doctors so they end up having to write off a LOT of charges for services.

I used to work for a doctor from Canada and he actually went back there, he said, "at least there the government pays you what you charge".

Doctors do NOT do as well in this country as everyone thinks. Internal Medicine us dying as a practice because internists don't make anything, you have to go into a specialty to make a decent salary so many medical students are going into specialties rather than internal medicine.

And by the way many Americans go to CANADA for prescriptions since they are much cheaper.

• ­

Insurance companies will definitely have to be changed or go completely under. A person can still use a private doctor or seek insurance other than what would be in the universal health care. I know physicians in England, Germany and Canada who are doing as well financially as physicians in the US.

Right now, my own insurance is a nightmare. I have my own which will only cover some things, and then there is my husband's which will cover the things that my own insurance won't cover. Both insurance companies (I won't name names) bicker back and forth for a year about who is going to pay what. Then I have to have my attorney force them resolve the issues and pay. So I have to pay my attorney to get the insurance companies to pay what their supposed to pay, to honor what I and my husband pay for the premiums. It is time for insurance companies to either clean up their mess or become extinct.

I disagree with what was said about Canadians have to go to other countries for health care. I volunteer for a large cancer support group, and we see many persons from the US having to go to Canada for treatments such as Gamma Knife, English Method, MIBG treatments, and intricate heart or brain surgeries.

The tactics used to scare us away from universal health care remind me of the commercials where the mop is singing "Baby Come Back" and sending flowers to the woman who now uses another brand.

Hopefully Universal health will be run like Canada's or Japans, by the government, not insurance companies. It will cost less in tax money because of that, and thus the doctors, hospitals, and drug companies will make less.

Physicians in Europe and Canada make about 1/3 of US doctors. Insurance companies will be government controlled.

• jero

Is that all you care about? How about the American people? Doctors aren't making much money due to the insurance companies so the only affected will be the insurance companies

Insurance companies have gotten very fat over the years off of other people's misery...maybe now there'll be a cure for cancer and diabetes instead of all the assorted money making tests that go along with those diagnoses...

it may hurt the health insurance industry, which could stand some hurting in my opinion. it will free the doctors to any test they deem appropriate for the health of their patients. it is time the US gives the right of health back to the people.

plus this will help the economy by taking the costs health benefits off the employer.

depends on what kind.

One thing people forget about so called "socialized medicine" is that you can hire anyone you can afford to pay to be your doctor. All we're talking about is having someone hire enough doctors on behalf of the governments to be sure that everyone at least has a doc, you don't have to accept who you get for free.

Docs, on the other hand, like the system as is as they extract money from ins cos who have soaked American workers for about a generation and a half now.

I don't trust doctors for whom my illness is only a way for them to make money. The tax payesr already pay for "socialized medicine" only they don't all have access to it. It just makes sense that since we all already pay for it we can access it.