Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why was the first Willie Wonka movie so much better than "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with Johnny Depp?

I think it mostly has to do with the script.

Charlie really longed for the Golden Ticket more in the first movie, and his reward at the end of the first movie was much more definitive -- because he didn't sell out the Everlasting Gobstopper to Slugsworth, he was given the factory.

Favorite Answer

Johnny Depp was way too creepy in the latter. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory reminded me wayyyy too much of what Michael Jackson and the Neverland Ranch would be like, if you get my drift.

Johnny Depp is alright but I think Gene Wilder is much better at creating a character. The script writing also has a lot to do with it. The main thing for me is whether or not I lose myself in it. A good movie to me takes me out of my head for a while. If during the movie I am thinking, this is stupid, or why on earth did that happen now it would have been better done or said later. You might as well leave or turn it off, it missed the mark.

I agree that usually the remake of a movie never quite pans out as well. Some movies are classics and perfect in the original version. Some movies just cannot be remade, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp and his ability to change into any role that he is given but i must agree that the original classic charlie and the chocolate factory will always be my favorite because it is the one i grew up watching. Sometimes all the new technology and special effects can get in the way of a great movie theme. That happens in alot of movies i think.

I'd say it has to do with the overall mood of the movie. The original one had a more playful overtone. It had it's creepy moments to be sure, but it seems to be chalked up to being a bit nutty and strange character. The colors are brighter and the mood is lighter.

In the Depp version, the mood is almost immediately set darker. The lighting, filter, and colors are darker; more grey and dreary.

The character of Wonka in the Depp version does seem more warped and sinister, and I believe that to be on purpose. The factory, and Oompa Loompas are stylized and modernized. In my opinion not an improvement.

One last observation is that I have fond memories of the first film from my childhood. That sence of nostalgia also helps to taint the view of the newer film.

They tried to modernize this newer version way too much. Everything looked computer generated and fake.. especially the Violet Beauregarde scene, I hated what they did to that in the new one. It was all too cartoonish.

Plus, Gene Wilder. Amazing.

Johnny Depp. Okay.

And.. I just watched the 2005 version last night and I was thinking the whole time that there was no emotion in it. It seemed like all the actors were reading off cue cards or something.

I totally agree. The story is portrayed brilliantly. Gene Wilder is excellent as Willy Wonka and the Ooompa Loompas are fantastic as his helpers, singing their words of advice about guzzling chocolate etc.

Most of the songs i.e The Candyman, The Oompa Loompa song,are songs everybody remembers. What happens to the children is also closer to the story by Roald Dahl and there is also a moral to the story. The Johnny Depp story is weird and doesn't keep to the story very well and only has one identical Oompa Loompa!! The market it is aimed at namely children, is proof indeed as my 7 year old loves it!!!

• yu3se6

"Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" is a wonderful movie that should be viewed by everyone. It is one of my personal favorites.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is visually stunning and cleverly written. The songs are remarkable. The whole movie is a fun journey through the chocolate factory. It is very enjoyable, fun, and clever. The scenery and props are eye candy.

The most underrated character in the movie is Mr. Turkentine. He is only in three scenes, but everytime he is on screen he is hilarious. I love the quote: "I've just decided to switch our Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it. But since today is Tuesday, it doesn't matter in the slightest." He is very, very funny.

Julie Dawn Cole plays Veruca so well. She is so bratty and she is one of those characters that you hate so much you love them. Roy Kinnear (who will be missed) is hysterical as her father. The whole movie is funny in it's own odd and strange way. It is a classic that will be treasured for many years to come.

Honestly, I love the one with Johnny Depp. The Chocolate Factory is a classic movie and needed to be updated so that today's children can enjoy the story. They don't want to watch Gene Wilder, he's out-dated. It would have been pointless to make both versions exactly the same. I think Johnny did a great job. I've always been a fan of his, he's super sexy!

• Jemima

It's the fate of a remake. Not many remakes are good, and they rarely surpass the original, of course there are exceptions, but definitely not with this movie.

The original is a classic, so much more than just a kids movie

IMHO Gene Wilder was Willy Wonka. Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSz-XXBKEv8

Youtube thumbnail

Johnny Depp was way better as a pirate.