liamm asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to exchange professional services for a share in a company?

Lets say for example, I am a Web Designer. Can I offer my services for "free" and just take a certain cut of the profits that company makes.

This could either be a "one off" design, or a "ongoing" deal where I manage their site.

Is any of this possible? Does this already happen? Who would I talk to about setting this up if it is possible?

Favorite Answer

It is certainly possible and I've heard of it being done for web design but it's more common for professional services (i.e. the legal work necessary for a start up).

That said, as an entrepreneur I would never make this deal. These services are fairly inexpensive in the scheme of a start up while what you're potentially giving away is huge. If you really believe in your start up idea wouldn't you rather pay the cash and keep the stock?

I think this makes the most sense for you when you have the time available and the firm will only pay in stock rather than cash.