?

What is a Jehovah's Witness?

Favorite Answer

Our beliefs:

(1) Bible: Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, and instead of adhering to a creed based on human tradition, they hold to the Bible as the standard for all their beliefs.

(2) God: They worship Jehovah as the only true God and freely speak to others about him and his loving purposes toward mankind. Anyone who publicly witnesses about Jehovah is usually identified as belonging to the one group—“Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

(3) Jesus Christ: They believe, not that Jesus Christ is part of a Trinity, but that, as the Bible says, he is the Son of God, the first of God’s creations; that he had a prehuman existence and that his life was transferred from heaven to the womb of a virgin, Mary; that his perfect human life laid down in sacrifice makes possible salvation to eternal life for those who exercise faith; that Christ is actively ruling as King, with God-given authority over all the earth since 1914.

(4) God’s Kingdom: They believe that God’s Kingdom is the only hope for mankind; that it is a real government; that it will soon destroy the present wicked system of things, including all human governments, and that it will produce a new system in which righteousness will prevail.

(5) Heavenly life: They believe that 144,000 spirit-anointed Christians will share with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, ruling as kings with him. They do not believe that heaven is the reward for everyone who is “good.”

(6) The earth: They believe that God’s original purpose for the earth will be fulfilled; that the earth will be completely populated by worshipers of Jehovah and that these will be able to enjoy eternal life in human perfection; that even the dead will be raised to an opportunity to share in these blessings.

(7) Death: They believe that the dead are conscious of absolutely nothing; that they are experiencing neither pain nor pleasure in some spirit realm; that they do not exist except in God’s memory, so hope for their future life lies in a resurrection from the dead.

(8) Last days: They believe that we are living now, since 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world; that lovers of righteousness will survive into a cleansed earth.

(9) Separate from the world: They earnestly endeavor to be no part of the world, as Jesus said would be true of his followers. They show genuine Christian love for their neighbors, but they do not share in the politics or the wars of any nation. They provide for the material needs of their families but shun the world’s avid pursuit of material things and personal fame and its excessive indulgence in pleasure.

(10) Apply Bible counsel: They believe that it is important to apply the counsel of God’s Word in everyday life now—at home, in school, in business, in their congregation. Regardless of a person’s past way of life, he may become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses if he abandons practices condemned by God’s Word and applies its godly counsel. But if anyone thereafter makes a practice of adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.

As their name shows, Jehovah’s Witnesses are Witnesses for Jehovah. Who is Jehovah? Jehovah is the name that Almighty God gives to himself in the pages of the Bible. It is a personal name, not a title like God or Lord. In a general sense, throughout history anyone who witnesses to God’s glory could be called a witness of Jehovah.—Exodus 3:13, 15; Isaiah 43:10.

It is a descriptive name, indicating that they bear witness concerning Jehovah, his Godship, and his purposes. “God,” “Lord,” and “Creator”—like “President,” “King,” and “General”—are titles and may be applied to several different personages. But “Jehovah” is a personal name and refers to the almighty God and Creator of the universe. This is shown at Psalm 83:18, according to the "King James version" of the Bible: “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.”

The name Jehovah (or Yahweh, as the Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible and some scholars prefer) appears almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew Scriptures. Most Bibles do not show it as such but substitute “God” or “Lord” for it. However, even in these Bibles, a person can usually tell where the original Hebrew text uses Jehovah because in those places the substituted words are written in large and small capitals, thus: GOD, LORD. Several modern translations do use either the name Jehovah or the name Yahweh. Hence, the New World Translation reads at Isaiah 42:8, “I am Jehovah. That is my name.”

The Scriptural account that Jehovah’s Witnesses draw on for their name is in the 43rd chapter of Isaiah. There the world scene is viewed as a courtroom drama: The gods of the nations are invited to bring forth their witnesses to prove their claimed cases of righteousness or to hear the witnesses for Jehovah’s side and acknowledge the truth. Jehovah there declares to his people: “Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am Jehovah; and besides me there is no saviour.”—Isaiah 43:10, 11, "American Standard Version."

Jehovah God had witnesses on earth during the thousands of years before Jesus was born. After Hebrews chapter 11 lists some of those men of faith, Hebrews 12:1 says: “So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Jesus said before Pontius Pilate: “For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth.” He is called “the faithful and true witness.” (John 18:37; Revelation 3:14) Jesus told his disciples: “You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth.”—Acts 1:8.

Hence, over 6,800,000 persons today who are telling the good news of Jehovah’s Kingdom by Christ Jesus in over 230 lands feel that they properly refer to themselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

For further information & learn more - you may wish to get in touch with Jehovah's Witnesses at the local Kingdom Hall. Or: <watchtower.org>

Thats a loaded question. Nutshell answers are all youre going to get on this site, so the best thing to do is simply to ask the next one that comes to your door what they believe.

But as long as we're here on Answers and you know this will be a nutshell attempt:

Jehovahs Witnesses are a Christian religion who believe 100% in living by what the bible says. They are not "Sunday Christians". They model their churches (Kingdom Halls) and their beliefs on the 1st Century Christians. The way the apostles set up the 1st congregation.

They believe that the commission Jesus gave to his disciples to go out from house to house, city to city preaching the "Good News of the Kingdom" applies just as much today as it did then.

They also believe that its more important to obey God as Ruler rather than man if there is a conflict in orders. Like war. "Thou shalt not kill", "Be no part of the world as I am no part of the world", "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love amongst yourselves". These and other scriptures bear on the fact that they will not kill another person except in self-defense. (yeah yeah some people would argue that if your country is being attacked, so are you, therefore killing is ok in war...But thats another post) : )

Consider checking the PBS Independent Lens program "Knocking". It was produced by the gay son of a Jehovah’s Witness. There’s some YouTube clips below.

http://knocking.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA6G1hqayiM

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwhe_QFcG1Y

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agnPkzM01M

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.jehovah.to/

• langer

properly the comparable way that we've a private call and would desire to be referred to as via our call extremely of guy, woman, Boy & so forth is the comparable way that God feels. Psalms 80 3:18 says "would people be attentive to which you, whose call is Jehovah,You on my own are the main extreme over all the earth." the reality that his call is reported interior the Bible shows God needs his call to be common & by using fact we are his witnesses or followers, we are referred to as Jehovah's Witnesses.

Someone who witnessed the holocaust first hand as a prisoner of their Own accord.

At least from what I know. I haven't studied JW. I mean no disrespect to JW's, o anyone else for that matter.

Yeah I checked wiki. I am wrong. I was way off.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jehovah is God and Jesus is his son.

Jehovah's Witnesses do there best to cultivate Christ-like qualities and they are Christian.

The link below is from the official site of Jehovah's Witnesses

(http://www.watchtower.org)

This link provides a summary of our beliefs

http://www.watchtower.org/e/jt/index.htm...

http://www.carm.org/witnesses.htm

They are false prophets. Look into their history and see for yourself.

Wrong dates and false doctrines.

Look into their beliefs and then look up all the scriptures in the King James Bible.

BEWARE they have their own bible translation (New World Translation) that their governing body who claim to be anointed translated themselves so they could support their false doctrines.

Pray to GOD and ask that the Holy Spirit reveal the truth to you and you will understand and see that they have been mislead by men.

Members of a particular religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witness

Someone who thinks they are pure in their own eyes, but has never been cleansed from their filthiness.

In other words, a deceived and deluded religion.

Source(s): www.nlmnewzealand.com