promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Difference between Sample wedding dress?

is there a difference between a "sample" dress and an actual wedding dress?

if so, what is it?

thanks in advance =)

Update:

is there any reason why a sample is cheaper though? or is it just cheaper where others have tried it on before?

thanks, to you who've already answered, btw

i found a half price dress of the one i want and its a sample and the beading looks to be a diff color, thats why i ask this.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Samples are dresses in stock for brides to look at and to try on. I used to have a bridal shop and it would be very expensive to have every color and size of each style in stock in the bridal shop. So, usually bridal shops have at least one sample, usually a size 10 or 12 in either white or ivory color. Most shops don't even have all of the styles the designers offer for that certain season. They just get the ones that are most likely to sell. A catalog is available for you to look at just in case you don't like any of the samples.

When you try on dresses and actually liked one, then the bridal shop will order your dress according to the size and color you want. Most bridal shops hold on to their samples unless they become discontinued and/or they are not the best sellers, and that's when you get a deal!

With regards to your sample with a different beading, most wedding dresses are available in different fabric color/beading combinations. For example, the sample available may be a white with silver beading, but can also be ordered in white with gold beading or embroidery, or white with clear beadings or white with metallic ... or any other combination. Also, it may also be a possibility that this certain dress is a stock from 3 or more years ago and might have been discolored.... but usually you are getting a deal because that particular style has been discontinued and the shop won't be needing it since it cannot be reordered.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A sample are the actual dresses that are kept in the store in a standard size (usually size 6 or 8) for every bride to try on, to see the style on their body. They do this because the dresses are so expensive (even sample dresses cost the store a few hundred dollars) and with so many brides (who don't really know how to properly handle large/intricate gowns) trying each style on, they are likely to be damaged. And no one wants to buy a damaged/dirty wedding gown.

Once you find the style you like that exact same style is ordered for you in your size. Most designers actually make each dress to order, so that's why it can take months for them to come in, and why you can't get a refund once it's ordered.

You get sized and measured and can make any requests for changes when you order, and then the dress is made specifically for you, but to look exactly like the sample, unless you request a change (like less/more beading, a different colour, adding a sash, etc). There might be slight changes to the style, for example, if you are shorter and there are details/embroidery at the bottom hem, that will be moved up a few/how ever many inches from the bottom hem, and then the actual seamstress at the store will shorten the skirt so that the details still sit at the bottom of the hem.

But a sample dress is just as it's name would imply, a sample for you to try on.

If you are thinking about it in reference to a bridal "sample sale" that is just when the stores sell off the leftover samples at the end of a season after that style has been discontinued. Since they can't order it, they sell off the sample for a pretty great price. The only worry is that there might be damage from all the wearing it's gotten and will probably need to be professionally cleaned because it might have make-up or dirt at the bottom from being worn around the store. They can be a great deal, but you might spend some of the money savings on having it repaired to be as good as new.

Good Luck!

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axDih

Some companies are better than others for quality of fabric, order time, size, color but what you also need to consider is the customer service and return policy. Most will offer to give a partial refund if you return the dress within 7 days of ordering. Be careful with that because the time difference between the United States and Asia can become a problem. Also ask for a sample of different fabrics the dress may come in. They will gladly ship samples of fabric so you know more or less of what you are getting. Also order your dress in a regular street size such as size 6,8, or 10 and do not let them make your dress by measurements they want you to take yourself. Always go up a size, even two sizes and have alterations done locally. You save time, money, and disappointment. Finally, once they ship the samples, go to your local fabric store and compare your samples with the fabric from the store. The higher price fabric is not necessarily the best and what it is called may also not be the same but you will understand what I mean if you do this I personally have ordered a dress from Asia off Ebay with success but I have also had brides bringing me their dresses they had bought from Asia and they are pretty poor quality. One bride ordered 3 dresses thinking it had to get better but she was wrong. I told her not to worry and that she could pick out a dress I had in stock so she knew what she was getting.

• schick
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Sample Sale Definition

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, there is and it has to do with fit. Samples are usually worn before by models or women trying them on before purchasing the custom gown. However, if it fits you and doesn't have any stains or tears, it is perfectly fine to purchase so long as you are being charged a lot less than the custom dress. These dresses are not the same as an off-the-rack dress, but usually have a lot more details.

My sister bought a designer sample. To buy the custom dress the sample showed would have been $2,800. It cost her $400 including the fitting adjustments plus another $120 to have it dry cleaned (there were no stains, but it had probably been worn by 30 women trying it on before ordering a custom dress).

• Judy b
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Samples should show exactly what the actual dress should look like

• 1 decade ago

sample is just a sample for everyone to try on, actual is ordered for you, you body from maker.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The difference is that I will definitely look even more stunning than usual in the actual wedding dress; and in addition would have a nicer and fresher look as a result of the less-handled fabric.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.