Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

How do I know my son is ready to potty train and how do I start?

My son is not two until next month and is acting interested in potty training. My other two boys did not start until they were almost 3, so he is quite young. The problem that I am having though is that he is taking his diaper off all the time, peeing on the floor, pooping on the floor, and taking his diaper off as soon as he poops and dumping the poop out. Due to this, I am assuming he does not like to do his business in his diaper anymore, so I have thought maybe he was ready to potty train. He is just so young. Anyway, I have put him on the potty several times and he has never gone. But, my question is: Is he trying to tell me he is ready? If so, how should I start with him as he does not talk real well yet to let me know he needs to go.

Favorite Answer

He is young but you never know because each child is an entirely new creation. With each of my children I wanted to provide education before anything else. "This is where Mommy and Daddy go potty." "This is the only place for pee and poop."

The second step for me was giving my child the means. I researched and found a very safe and very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so they could hold on at all times. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

It helped my sons to potty train standing up because the visual reinforcement helped to connect the internal sensations and develop better bladder control. My sons climbed right up on this stool and discovered that they were completely comfortable. This made all the difference. This stool was well worth it. Hope this helps.