Can you help me figure out this riddle?

You are in a dungeon, strapped into an electric chair. On each side of the room there is a lever and a guard. One lever electrocutes you, the other does nothing. One guard always tells the truth, the other always lies. You can ask a question to one of the guards that will save your life. What question will it be?

My professor gave us this riddle the other day and told us that there is an answer. It's been driving me crazy!! I have until class tomorrow to figure this out!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Katie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

His changed it slightly the original riddle was:

You are in a dungeon and you come across a room with two doors, each door has a guard next to it. Then you see a sheet of paper which says:

-All statments on this sheet of paper are true.

-One door leads further into the dungeon, one leads to freedom.

-One guard always tells the truth, one always lies.

-You can ask each guard a question, but it has to be the same question you are asking the other guard.

-The nature of the gaurd is not dependent on what door he is guarding (which means the truth teller doesnt guard the freedom door and vise versa).

What do you ask?

THE ANSWER!!

"Which door would the other guard say is the door to freedom?"

Truth teller points to the door leading into the dungeon as it is truthfully what the liar would say. Liar points to the door leading into the dungeon as it is deceitfully NOT what the truth teller would say.

Whatever door they both point to, take the other.

so in your proffessors version the answer would be the same but you ask

"which lever would the other guard say will save me"

the truth teller would point to the lever that the lier would choose, visa versa

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you ask which lever is safe if they both point to the same lever your screwed, if they point to separate ones just remember which one told you that one lies and the other tell the truth he is the one that is telling the truth the other is lying.

• 1 decade ago

ask a guard what the other guard would say and then pick the opposite lever

• 1 decade ago

please say lie that my lever will electrocutes you

if the guard accepts means he will always tell lie and his lever will not electrocutes you

if the guard says no then he will speak only truth and his lever will electrocutes you

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ask him to let you go and strap him down then pull a lever

• 1 decade ago

i forgot how it goes but i think you have to ask one what the other one would say if you asked him if his lever will electricute you. they had something like that on a movie

• Go 2 class 2morrow n find out.

• 1 decade ago

ask one guard to point right. if he points left, than u know he's lying. if he points right, u know he's telling the truth.

• 1 decade ago

How can one question save your life?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

what is a lever???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.