Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

What is the basic gist of Krav Maga?

What kind of martial art is Krav Maga and how does it differ from other martial arts?

Favorite Answer

Krav Maga is basically just a hybrid art with techniques from several traditional martial arts. I've been doing Krav Maga for a few months now and I'm happy with the things I've learned so far.

Krav Maga takes moves from Boxing, wrestling, Jujitsu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Karate and several other martial arts. The idea behind it is that you want to go from defending to attacking as soon as possible, and use anything and everything (groin shots, eye gouges, strikes to the neck and back of the head, weapons that you might be able to find) to defend yourself and incapacitate an attacker. I like the training methods because they put you under a little bit of stress and try to keep things as realistic as possible (while keeping safety in mind of course).

I also like the simplicity of the methods and the no nonsense approach to self defense. There isn't a lot of formality and you don't spend time learning forms or katas or anything like that, you learn self defense from day one.

But here are the problems I have with Krav Maga: While its a great thing for the average person to pick up, Civilian Krav Maga (which is what most people learn, unless of course they're in the military) is geared towards self defense techniques, and they don't stress actual fighting as much as I would like. Also, if you have no martial arts background whatsoever, you'll have a hard time learning all the new techniques. This is because Krav is designed to be taught quickly, so technique isn't emphasized as much as it would be in a Dojo, dojang or a boxing gym. I've seen Krav instructors who still can't throw a good side kick or throw a good combination of punches. Take a boxer and a good Krav Maga practitioner together in a boxing ring, chances are the boxer will win.

Also, I know Krav Maga is hyped up a lot as the "greatest self defense system in the world", but it really isn't. Any legit fighter knows there isn't a single "best" system out there, it all depends on the fighter.

I'm sure that there are people out there who have trained in a martial art for years that I could still take down in a fight because I'm faster, or stronger, tougher physically and mentally etc., and at the same time there are people out there who've had little to no training in martial arts that could still take me out for whatever reason. Its all about the fighter not the art.

So as long as you understand that Krav Maga is just another martial art, and not the "greatest self defense system in the world" as some people claim it is (remember, there's nothing new in Krav Maga, the moves are from traditional arts, its just put in a different package), then you can definitely walk away form it with valuable information.

Source(s): Training in Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing and Muay Thai.

Krav Maga is a Hebrew word, which means “close combat” the most realistic self-defense discipline that's getting more and more popular lately. I think it's a type of self-defense that's suitable for anyone, regardless the age, size, physical condition, strength, or experience.

it differs from other martial arts , it doesn’t need any special tools or gears just so you can perform it, The Krav Maga moves focuses on the use of “combatives,” or basic techniques of street fighting that involves elbow strikes, kicks, punches, knees, and even scratching as well as biting are included.

I have recently written an article about the main techniques of Krav maga.

I invite you to discover The Essentials of krav Maga Techniques

which in my point of view makes learning this discipline recommended, especially when you know that krav maga is not as complicated as the other martial arts.

This is a fuller answer to an earlier comment that I made:

Krav Maga's founder is Imi Lichtenfeld, Hungarian at birth, Imi seems to have been a natural athlete from a young age, being well versed – and winning awards nationally and internationally – in gymnastics, wrestling and boxing. When you also consider that Imi’s father was both a policeman and a self teacher then you can see Imi would have had the ingredients to become an accomplished fighter.

Flash forward 40 years and you find that KM is taught to law enforcement agencies the world over, the Israeli Army (of course), the CIA etc, etc. It clearly carries some pedigree!

I have been to several Krav Maga seminars and am not impressed. In 30 years of studying martial arts including time in Japan, Thailand, Korea and Okinawa I found their system to be a knock off of other systems. Krav Maga is so hyped by a publicist that it is actually become a sell out. They even tried to get a copyright on the name which is stupid since they did not create it but rather used other arts to make it.

I was at a seminar with a guy who had been Krav Maga for 9 years including training in Israel. He showed a defense against a typical street punch (overhand hook) and I questioned his tactics so he wanted me to "try" and hit him. I declined several times but after being told Karate was a joke by this guy I reluctantly agreed. When I threw the punch he got knocked out. Everyone left the seminar.

If you use any art that you have had decent training in against an untrained attacker you have a high percentage of winning...even if it is Krav Maga, but I lost respect for it after attending four seminars where they talked about how it was the greatest self defense system out there and I quit going after hitting and harming the one instructor. I feel it is not valuable anymore and switched to Close Quarters Combatives with Richard Ryan and also train with Jim Wagner in reality based combatives. Both are far better than Krav Maga.

• ?

Check out the location's website and see if they are part of any krav maga association. If they are, you might be able to go on the association's website and see how good their instructors are. They should also either let you take a free class before you join, or let you watch.

It's win at any cost.

Pretty dishonorable. Depends on your outlook, though.

If we're talking ACTUAL Krav, it's a military combat tactic used to counter terrorists and multiple armed enemies.

It differs in almost every way except that it involves fighting. There's not mental or spiritual aspect, there's no code of honor or conduct. It's just kill. Most practitioners live in the illusory world that they're unbeatable because they practice it. In my experience, they've got egos that are disproportionate to their level of skill.

If you're looking for a school, be wary - the credentials are excessively easy to fake.

Source(s): 9 years martial arts exp.

Salutations,

Think of it as special forces training for the masses. Has it's uses, but I think it's practices can be easily abused, if taught to the wrong-minded people. It's Founder wrote an article a while ago for a Kung Fu mag, in it he spoke of the 3 kinds of people, he called Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. Look into it, but realize it is Hand to Hand Combat. Cheers

Hey Atheism_and_rats,

Leave your anti-semitic biases at home. Don't bring 'em here.

What, just because something was developed by a Jew, it must be bad?

Krav Maga doesn't require that you be Jewish. It doesn't promote Judaism.

Have fun in Hell. Bring sunscreen.

You are an ignorant turd.

Source(s): I study Krav Maga, I'm a Christian, and I HAVE A BRAIN. The two are totally unrelated.

Derived from the distinctive fighting style of the Israeli Haganah. It is focused on practical combat skills.

• Viking

It is specifically designed to maim or kill it is not for the ring or MMA it is military for soldiers in wartime. both defense and offense with an emphasis on offense. with moves designed to kill an opponent