Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Is there a correlation between Vegetarianism and Atheism?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks so much.

Favorite Answer

I'm not a atheist, yet i'm saying this...

Both vegetarianism and atheism are more accepted by LIBERALS, at least INTELLECTUALLY, which would mean owning a firearm and being Christian would also have a positive correlation. They have little to do with each other, but they are seen as the same side of the political spectrum. And there is a correlation between the naturalistic worldview and vegetarianism. A "typical" racist can't be vegetarians since they claim to eat human flesh (though they forgot their God insisted "humane" slaughtering is a MUST), so perhaps that alone could skew the data towards a link between atheism and vegetarianism? ;-) Buddhism, Sikhism and Hinduism generally promote vegetarianism (if not, at least to some extent they agree killing is wrong!), so that might skew things the other way and show atheists as being LESS likely to be vegetarian than theists. For atheists who are vegatarians or vegans. Whether because of health reasons, environmental reasons, or because of compassion for animals? Morality is set, that he knows what it is, that it has nothing to do with one's premises, and that moral progress is integrate with intellect (except in the sense of conventional religious morality moving more in line with his views). Certainly if I lose the use of one arm, then a greater area of my brain becomes devoted to moving the other arm. And my palate has expanded since dropping meat entirely (though it isn't and never was impressive to start with). Even if someone doesn't eat meat ironically, they have a certain desire they go STRAIGHT for the meat religiously. This is CONDITIONING. They've never learned nor taught themselves how to fill that desire with vegetarian options.

There were annoying evidence that the great thinkers, scientists, philosophers, humanitarians, theologists and philanthropists were grassrooted as FREE THINKERS and were VEGETARIAN (the corralation was not well defined, but at least you would agree to this point here that they would have devoted to some religious politics later part)...

1. MOST of THEM were ATHEISTS

2. ALMOST of THEM were VEGETARIANS

****Humanitarians****

(Charles Darwin, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Frank Chikane, Jacob Zambuhle Bhekuyise Dlamini, Louise Burfitt-Dons...)

****Human Rights, Anti-Slavery:Abolitionism****

(Thomas Paine, John Stuart Mill and Hegel during the 18th and 19th centuries, William Wilberforce, Olaudah Equiano, Benjamin Haydon, Abraham Lincorn, Nelson Mandela, William Wilberforce and Thomas Clarkson), Anti-Child Abuse/Children's rights (Youth activists in the United States in the late 1800s, Janusz Korczak),

****Anti-Apartheid/Racism****

(H. F. Verwoerd 1901-66, Nelson Mandela 1990,... ),

****Women Rights, Right to Vote, Feminism****

(Queen Elizabeth I, Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Angela Davis, Alice Walker, Mary Wollstonecraft, Lydia Chapin Taft was granted the right to vote in 1756, Millicent Fawcett and radical Emmeline Pankhurst with her daughter Christabel in UK)

****Children's Right / Anti Child Abuse****

(Cohen 1980, Farson 1974, Kleinig, J., 1976, ‘Mill, Children, and Rights’, Worsfold, V.L., 1974)

****Animal Rights & Domestic Animal Rights****

(Adam/Eve Genesis 1:20-28, French philosopher René Descartes 1596–1650, Richard Ryder 1635, Katheen Kete of Trinity College 1654, British philosopher John Locke 1632–1704, Jean-Jacques Rousseau 1754, Jeremy Bentham 1781, Frances Power Cobbe founded two of the world's first anti-vivisection societies 1866, Peter Singer's Animal Liberation, Philosopher Carl Cohen, Judge Richard Posner, Clint Eastwood against hunting and killing animals for sport. .. )

***Other Notable Historian who were VEGETARIAN PURITAN ATHEISTS***

Plutarch was a vegetarian Greek historian, writer, and thinker, 46 AD to 120 AD

Pythagoras laid the foundation for modern mathematics and vegetarianism

da Vinci, Leonardo (1452 - 1519, Italian scientist, painter, sculptor, engineer, and architect)

Shaw, George Bernard (1865 - 1950; British dramatist and critic)

Thoreau, Henry David (1817 - 1862; American writer and naturalist)

White, Ellen G. (1827 - 1915, vegetarian health reformer)

Singer, Isaac Bashevis (1904 - 1991, Yiddish author, Nobel prize winner)

Bob Barker

Einstein, Albert (1879 - 1955, scientist, philosopher)

Gompertz, Lewis (labor leader)

Graham, Sylvester (1794 - 1851)

Kafka, Franz (1883 - 1924, important Austrian - Czech writer)

Kellogg, John Harvey, M. D. (1852 - 1943, American surgeon)

Nearing, Scott (1883 - 1983)

Peretz, Isaac Lieb (1852 - 1915, Yiddish author)

Plutarch (46 - 119 A.D., Greek historian and biographer)

Porphyry (234 - 305 A.D., Greek author and philosopher)

Schweitzer, Albert (1875 - 1965, theologian, renowned medical missionary in Africa, winner of Nobel Peace Prize, 1952)

Agnon, Shmuel Yosef (1888 - 1970, Hebrew author)

Darwin, Charles (1809 - 1882, biologist)

Søren Kierkegaard - Danish Philosopher

Hypatia - Famous Female Phil

• For some people there is. But there are certain religions where one of the main tenets is veg'anism, so you can't really make any sweeping generalization like that in either direction. There are people who might argue with you against veg'anism by using quotes from the bible and other religious texts, but some veg'ans are staunchly religious and can show you exactly where in these texts that veg'anism is supported & "the right way" according to whatever religion they are.

Personally, I'm a vegan atheist. The only correlation for ME that I can see, is perhaps that I value truth & equality, and even that is stretching it. Well, maybe it's not such a stretch, now that I think of it. Anyway, I was atheist long before I was vegan, or even vegetarian. Religion just doesn't "do it" for me, and I've found most religions to be very hypocritical. I have my own rules about morality & how I want to live my life. I don't need someone else to dictate what I should or shouldn't do, say, or even think. I definitely don't need the fear of some imaginary guy in the sky or underground or in the air, etc. to make me do what is right. I'm kind of an odd atheist in that I believe that some gods/goddesses MAY have existed at some point, but I just don't believe in idol worship. (In theory--No matter what their powers may have been, what made them worthy of worship? What made them better than anyone else? This is where the equality thing comes into play...What makes humans better than non-human animals? Just because we've evolved to be a little smarter, that doesn't give us the right to exploit them the way we do. The reason we've evolved to the extent that we have is because we were originally the weakest prey, the hunted, not the hunters...) So maybe I'm more of an agnostic technically, or agnostic-atheist? This is just how I see it, and I'm not meaning to offend anyone. I have absolutely nothing against theists, unless they're the type that use their beliefs as a tool for hate. Most people I know, and most people in general believe in some god(s)/goddess(es), or follow some religion. Religion works for a lot of people. I'm just not one of them.

I don't think so at all. Many religions advocate vegetarianism - Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist, 7th day adventist, strict forms of Judaism, etc. For many it is a very moral choice about deciding that animals deserve and want live too, and it is not our right to hurt them. For many this is a religious notion that we must try to be selfless and use only what we have to; that we should not harm other living things unnecessarily. If anything I think it is surprising that all religions don't teach vegetarianism. If you believe that all things of earth are God's creatures, then wouldn't you want to be as kind to them as you could and live in harmony with them? Below are some links describing why different religious groups advocate this lifestyle.

• Onika

Is this serious? Haven't heard of any studies but my son is a very intelligent vegetarian who claims to be an atheist so let me know if you find a link!

I'd probably say no... not directly anyway. Yes in a round about way.

Also, realize that Vegetarian and Atheist are both labels, both of which I do not agree with being put on myself, although I would fit these labels according to others.

There is a certain non-direct connection.

People who are out-side-of-the-box thinkers are prone to being open-minded, and investigative, and so forth. To most people, Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, Cartoons, and God are in the same category. To most people, it is also very obvious that humans are not meant to eat animals. It's so obvious, just as obvious as the magical man that lives somewhere in the sky or out there in the universe. That's the connection.

Someone pointed out that many religious people are also vegetarian or vegan, often because of their religion. There is a very good reason that many religions frown upon such things as killing, adultery, stealing, and the killing and eating of other creatures of the world, especially the sentient ones. People who follow religion are of a certain mindset, and they need guidance, so the people running the religion create rules for their followers, in order that they keep them in line with certain moral and health aspects. Many of these rules are meant to keep these people in line (under control), keep them healthy, and watch out for them because they do not have the ability to think for themselves. Most religions had their followers abstain from all animal flesh (because that's still killing), stimulating foods, alcohol, drugs, and etc. but over the years, all of these strict rules slowly became less and less strict because there became more and more competition and humans are inherently a lazy bunch who'd rather join the religion that is 'easier'. "Hey, come over here, you can still go to heaven even if you eat some meat, just not on Tuesdays Fridays and Sundays." "Hey, over here, with us you only have to not eat meat on Sundays." "Hey, over here, with us you only have to not eat pork, that's it, easy!" ...and on and on it goes. It's still going on today as religions are losing their followers in massive numbers all around the world, they are altering their rules to allow women to become priests, allowing homosexuals to marry (why on earth these homosexuals would want to join a religion that was trying to kill them off not long ago is beyond me), changing their sermons into rock shows... they are a desperate bunch right now.

Vegetarianism has no religious dogma. There is no correlation.

Gandhi, John Wesley and Buddha were all vegetarian.

Many, like Gandhi (Hindu), and Seventh Day Adventists, are vegetarian BECAUSE of their religion.

Most of the Seventh Day Adventists that I know are vegetarians and Christian.

I'm Atheist and vegan.

Maybe it's because I don't have a religion that justifies me eating animals? But it's really a choice that people of all faiths make.

I'm a vegan and an atheist. I'm not sure what the figures on a grand scale would be, though. I know the most vegetarians in the world are in India and most of them aren't atheists. In the US, maybe.

More often than not the correlation is between vegetarianism and religion...Ask Hindu Brahmins, Jains, to name a few!