How can I trace this pin that says archid.avst.dux.burg.co.tyr.1780x?

I got this pin from my great grandmother who I believe got it from her brother who was in WW2. I have found that the inscription is a copy of a coin minted still today. I want to know how my uncle came across it.

Favorite Answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Theresa_thaler

The Maria Theresa thaler (MTT) is a silver bullion-COIN (not a pin) that has been used in world trade continuously since it was first minted as a thaler in 1741. It was named after Empress Maria Theresa, who ruled Austria, Hungary, and Bohemia from 1740 to 1780. Between 1751 and 2000, some 389 million were minted. These different mints distinguished their printings by slight alterations to the saltire, or flower symbol, which looks like an X at the top left of the reverse side of the coin. In 1946, the Vienna Mint rescinded any rights of foreign governments to issue such copies; subsequently, the Vienna Mint has produced over 49 million MTTs.

It was one of the first coins used in the United States and probably contributed (along with the Spanish eight-bit dollar) to the choice of a dollar as the main unit of currency for the United States.

The inscription on the obverse of this coin is in Latin: "M. THERESIA D. G. R. IMP. HU. BO. REG." The Reverse reads "ARCHID. AVST. DUX BURG. CO. TYR. 1780 X". It is an abbreviation of "Maria Theresia, Dei Gratia Romanorum Imperatrix, Hungariae Bohemiaeque Regina, Archidux Austriae, Dux Burgundiae, Comes Tyrolis. 1780 X", which means, "Maria Theresa, by the grace of God, Empress of the Romans, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Tyrol. 1780". The "X" is actually a saltire, and was added after 1750 denoting Maria Theresia's reign over the Austrian Netherlands. Around the rim of the coin is the motto of her reign: "Iustitia et Clementia", meaning "Justice and Clemency".

During World War II, the British minted some 18 million MTTs in Bombay to use in their campaign to drive the Italians out of Ethiopia.

(Maybe your uncle served with the British in India in WW2, or he could have bought one from someone who had)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): trace pin archid avst dux burg tyr 1780x: https://tr.im/eIRhY

Reverse Phone Number Look Up Services