if blondes are so dumb...?

if blondes are so dumb then why do so many people dye their hair blonde? im a blonde and im sick and tired of

1. people calling me dumb.. because im not. im in the top 8% of my class.. theres over 400 people

2. brunettes dying their hair blonde after calling us dumb

3. blondes acting like morons [dyed or not]

4. brunettes and red heads saying they had a blonde moment or that they are "so blonde" at heart. that means nothing. its just annoying. wish people would realize how ridiculous they sound. i shouldnt have to prove that i'm not incompetant. im actually very intelligent.

• Mike K
    Favorite Answer

Hi Lindsey,

It all goes back to the 50's and 60's when I was a very young fellow.

The classic bimbo blond like Marylin Munroe and Jane Mansfield who looked, good, blond, well endowed but seemed to have IQ's of 80, only babbled sexy baby talk to please their man, were in vogue and popular then. I think to date, Marylin has not been surpassed by any celebrity for popularity and nostalgia.

Commercials back then even pushed women to be blond as they had more fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDNHGPRHBA

Youtube thumbnail

&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKRPmL966w

Youtube thumbnail

&NR=1

Movies like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes didn't help much. Shirley Polykoff, who was born in 1908 and died in 1998, was one of only five women in history who was ever inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame. In 1955, Shirley changed history as well as American culture after she landed a job at Foote, Cone & Belding, ad agency. It was there that she created the famous words" Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure." This slogan, created for Clairol, was destined to become the 8th top advertising slogan of the century.

Polykoff, further enticed us with the unforgettable, "If I have only one life . . . let me live it as a blonde." She then hit us with the knock out punch, with those famous ad words for a Clairol jingle that are now firmly entrenched in the annals of history "Is it true blondes have more fun?"

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

I've never understood where the stereotype of blondes being dumb came from, as I've seen people of all hair colors being equally stupid.

You shouldn't be too angry at them though, it's just a light casual joke that goes around. In fact, red headed people are considered "ginger" and are sensitive to the sun. Brunette and black haired people are also known for being cocky and complaining a lot. So maybe being a blonde isn't such a bad thing ;)

i agree. I got treated differently when I dyed my hair black. I tried to go back to blond and I couldn't do it. I admit a pull a blond joke on myself but I don't really mean it. The truth is that the color of the hair has nothing to do with intelligence.

I do wonder however, just how many blonds play dumb to get what they want?

Well, I'm blonde and I've never once thunk of myself as being dumb. =P

• Dke

My blonde gf is very smart

Hey get use to it. would you rather them make fun of you for something worse? No matter what every group of people get will get made fun of for some stupid reason. it's normal.

i understand its almost like the gay word people all ways sayin thats so gay...when u ask yourself how the hell is that gay. but u know its an old sayin and people will always use it, it will be hard to make them stop