Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

serious question: is it Halal to watch (& laugh) stuff like "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" or Jeff Dunham?

and his puppets Achmed the Dead Terrorist

ie some stuff that makes fun of some Islamic things but do not reach the lvl of mocking it

• Muse
    Favorite Answer

I didn't really like Don't Mess with the Zohan. I much prefer Adam Sandler's other movies, such as Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore.

When I watch them, I do laugh, because I find them funny. But I seriously cringe at the sex jokes and for example, at parts in the Zohan movie, where he talks about his... ahem... "package". I find these jokes extremely rude. And when there are nude parts, I simply look elsewhere, waiting for them to be over. I don't usually watch these kind of movies, only on rare occasions.

Personally, I think that it all depends on how much you watch these movies and how affected you are by them.

For example, my little brother watches "South Park" all the time, and now all he does is talk like Cartman and curse like Stan. Everything he does or says refers to an episode of South Park. He's practically obsessed. This, I think, is extremely wrong.

As for Achmed the Dead Terrorist, I love him and from what I know, he's never insulted or mocked Islam in any way. Oh, actually, he has once... joking about the virgins that a man will get if he dies in Jihad. But, I know for a fact that the joke was very light. If I remember correctly, Achmed looked at the crowd and shouted: "Are these my virgins?" saying something like "They're so ugly!". I don't remember really well.

...

By the way... SILENCE! ... I keeeell you!

[EDIT] And I think that Jeff isn't making fun of Achmed for being Muslim, but for being a terrorist.

Did I get a thumbs down for being honest? Really?

Here is a good review of Zohan. I personally did laugh also.

http://eaazi.blogspot.com/2008/07/zohan-offends-fo...

I didn't find anything in "Don't mess with the Zohan" that offended me as a Muslim, in fact, I don't want to give anything away, but there's a message at the end...

haha i watch Jeff Dunham, and I've seen 'You Don't Mess With the Zohan,' it's just harmless fun; there's nothing wrong with watching it.

• Weaam

Muslims are not sacred, Islam is. If they're making fun of some Muslims, then it's fine, but not if they are making fun of Islam or the sacred figures in Islam like the Prophet (pbuh) or the Quran.

If it makes fun of Muslims practicing Islam as it is prescribed by Allah swt in the Holy Quran and you laugh then you join ranks of nonbelievers. If it makes fun of hypocrites such as those who rush to a bar after namaz then you can laugh at those jokes. I didn't watch Zohan, so I don't know whether or not it was acceptable.

I prefer Russel Peters, who makes fun of Desi (Pakistani/Indian) people. It's so funny, because it's true lol. I am Pakistani.

I don't think Jeff Dunham is as funny as people think he is. But anyways, I think he makes fun of Islamic stuff a lot, so I would think it's not okay.

lol i wanted to see "dont mess with the zohan" (adam sandler is funny) sooo bad...but i didn't only because i didn't have movie theater money....

even if it is just a movie it is haram because of the jews made it so that is give them more money from your pocket and they talk down and mock islam as well

which is not funny!!

Jeff Dunham is Hilarious! xD

I guess it is; because they are criticising Islam. I don't get why any muslim would want to watch it anyway.