Are there any movies that depict colonial America?

I really enjoyed the PBS miniseries "Colonial House." In it, everyday people signed up to live as American colonists in the 1600s for 4 months. I love that time period and I wanted to maybe watch a movie that depicts a colony surviving or something. My family does "Netflix" so it would have to be on the website. I've looked up the movie named "The New World" about John Smith but it doesn't really seem like quite the thing I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Before I read the expanded details of your question, The New World was the first film that came to mind. As one of its plot points centers around the colony struggling greatly to merely survive.

However, even though this is one of my personal favorite films, I will admit that it is not for everyone...

- All of Terrence Malick's films tend to be lyrical in nature. Short on dialog, and heavy on meditation and the visuals. Think of it like a poem. If "silence" in films annoy or bore you, this probably isn't the kind of film you were looking for.

- The setting of the film is colonial Jamestown (with it ending up back in London), but the story does center around a love story.

Malick's film tends to be more of an allegory concerning the nature and wonderfulness of all things "new" (the new land, the new love...) - and the manner which humans tend to spoil and then idealize that which has past. Recreating actual history (however the Pochontas/John Smith love-story actually played out) I think was secondary to the point of this film, but anyone who reads history knows better than to take historical films at face value.

All that aside, in my opinion (and as a history lover), The New World is still the best of the lot brought up by the responders (and yourself) so far. It didn't hurt that the vehicle of the setting is more to my liking (I love the pretty pictures), since I was never much of a Charles Dickens fan (i.e. heavy on the dialog).

• winnie

Colonial America Movies

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I really enjoyed the PBS miniseries "Colonial House." In it, everyday people signed up to live as American colonists in the 1600s for 4 months. I love that time period and I wanted to maybe watch a movie that depicts a colony surviving or something. My family does "Netflix" so it would have to be...

Source(s): movies depict colonial america: https://shortly.im/W8tH7
  • Gail

Extremely innacurate. First of all, Scots didn't wear kilts in that day. Prince Edward was born years after Wallace's death so he couldn't have been his son, not to mention Isabella was a toddler when Wallace was a grown man. Also, Wallace was thought to be a double agent and ended up working with the english in his later days. The monument that now stands in Stirling, Scotland of William Wallace is actually a replica of Mel Gibson. I guess the story brings in good tourism so there's no need to correct it.

Johnny Tremaine (1957)

In colonial Boston, a young silversmith's apprentice injures his hand, and finds himself befriended by the Sons of Liberty and caught up in events of the American Revolution.

April Morning (1988)

The "April Morning" here is the famous April 19, 1775 upon which the "Shot heard 'round the world" was fired, signalling the start of the American Revolution. Faithful to author Howard Fast's somewhat revisionist view that the skirmishes between the Colonial militia and the British troops in Lexington and Concord (Massachusetts), were precipitated as much by fervent American patriots led by Solomon Chandler as by any "Redcoat" belligerence.

The Crucible (1996)

A small group of teen girls in 1692 Salem, Massachusetts caught in an innocent conjuring of love potions to catch young men are forced to tell lies that Satan had invaded them and forced them to participate in the rites and are then forced to name those involved. Thrown into the mix are greedy preachers and other major landowners trying to steal others' land and one young woman (Ryder) infatuated with a married man (Day-Lewis) and determined to get rid of his innocent wife (Allen). Arthur Miller wrote the events and the subsequent trials where those who demanded thier innocence were executed, those who would not name names were incarcerated and tortured, and those who admitted their guilt were immediately freed as a parable of the Congressional Communist witch hunts led by Senator Joe McCarthy in 1950's America.

• EW.com

Black Robe

Squanto

The Patriot

The Last of the Mohicans

Drums Along the Mohawk

Revolution

1776

The Mission (South America, but closer to the time period you're talking about)

The Crucible

The Scarlett Letter

The Patriot

The Scarlet Letter.