Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Ideas for making homemade pizza rolls?

I remember my mom buying these incredibly unhealthy Tostino's pizza rolls when I was a kid. The other day, I was craving junk food, so I bought some. Not only was I shocked at how unhealthy they were (well.... more amazed than shocked), but I also thought they tasted crappy.

Now that I'm an adult with a family, I make healthy, home cooked meals every single day.... I'm getting into a rut where we kind of rotate the same 15 meals. I was thinking about making pizza rolls homemade (not necessarily "healthy", but much healthier and hopefully tastier than the store bought ones!). I'm not really sure what ratio of cheese/sauce/toppings to use, or if I should use a canned, refrigerated crust, or make one from scratch. Also, how would you cook it and make sure it stays together while cooking.

Favorite Answer

I am sure you can buy a can of crescent rolls and make mini ones.

I made this the other day for my family for the first time, and it was great. I just bought pre-made pizza dough from the supermarket, and also bought canned pizza sauce (to tell the truth, I used spaghetti sauce, because it was cheaper). Then I bought mozzarella cheese already shredded, and a pepperoni stick that i chopped into little squares, just like the ones inside of the pizza rolls. I also used mushrooms chopped up into squares for some of the rolls. I thawed out the pizza dough according to it's package and rolled out the pizza dough to a 1/4 of an inch, and cut it with a biscuit cutter into a circle. I loaded up one circle with a little of each topping, sometimes more if i liked it.. like the cheese. I put more of the toppings inside than I thought I should because the dough would expand when cooking. took another circle of dough, and placed it on top, and took a fork and used the tines to press the two sides together. Then I baked them according to the pizza dough instructions. They were delicious..I found though, it's easier to make them bigger, like empanada size. Good luck!

Source(s): My kitchen!
  • kitch

Well I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if you are looking to enterain with pizza, my family and I always make mini pizzas. We use English muffins for the crust. We just get plenty of ingredients and we each make our own. I buy pizza sauce from a can, but of course I have to doctor it up. I put garlic, onion, and salt and pepper in it for a better taste. The best thing about this is that everyone gets the pizza they like. So if someone else gives you a good recipe think about using the recipe, but making mini pizzas. It's a lot of fun. Good luck

I have been making them lately and got it down, pretty much.

I have been making them but a little bigger than the tiny Totinos ones. I use frozen pizza dough balls that you can get at most grocery stores near the frozen bread (Trader Joes has them, I know).

Thaw and let the dough rest.

Mean while, chop up whatever you want to put on the inside (e.g. chop up pepperoni, green pepper, mushroom, etc.) into small pieces.

Get some tomato sauce. Put the toppings into the tomato sauce and heat gently (warm).

Get some shredded mozzarella.

Once the dough is thawed and rested, cut it into about 6 parts. You can get 6 pizza rolls out of 1 dough ball.

Stretch or roll out the dough to a circle (6 circles), use flour if it needs it, and put a bit of filling and lots of cheese in the center.

Brush the outside with a bit of WATER and fold over like a taco.

Use a fork to press and seal the seam.

(Brush with egg yolk if you want) and bake in the oven for about 12-14 minutes on 375 or 400.

Check out this website: www.recipezaar.com

*A neat feature is if you look up a recipe (Sugar Cookies, for example) you will get a bunch of recipes to look through... then you can choose to sort them by rating (the ratings are given by other users who try the recipe & report back if they liked it or not). That way all the best recipes will pop up to the top of the list.

Almost all recipes give nutritional info, too

**If you type in "Pizza Rolls" you'll get 16 recipes

Source(s): www.recipezaar.com

just mix what you would think would be the right amount of mixture until you get it to where you like it...

I would go to an asian market, and find the egg roll wrappers that they sell in packages. Use those and they will get nice and crunchy and will taste great...