dav asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

If John McCain was to pass away before the Election.......?

Would Palin be reigned as the Republican Presidential Candidate and pick herself a VP, and if so do you think she would win? If that wouldn't happen, would Obama automatically be put into office?

Thx

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I do not know for certain, but I think it would go like this:

1- The RNC selects a new candidate in accordance with their by-laws. My guess is the runner up in the primaries gets the nod. That candidate would then pick his own VP, which may or may not be Palin.

2- According to the constitution, Obama would still have to be elected. He does not get a free pass.

3- Since it is late in the game, it is possible that the republican candidate would not be able to get his name on the ballot in some states. I find this unlikely, as it would cause an uproar in the population after what would be seen as a tragic death of the candidate.

4- The democrats would likely have the same issue if Obama ate a bad piece of shrimp and died. Though with their superdelegates I think the politicking for a new candidate would get a lot trickier and Clinton would not be a shoe in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obama is more likely to pass away before the election both of his parents were dead by age 52. McCain's mom is still going strong at 96.

• meras
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What a dumb question, Matt Damon!! Do you comprehend that the existence expectancy of a Senator is 12-15 years better than the final inhabitants? Who became the ultimate President to die earlier the age of ninety? JFK and it took a bullet via his cranium or he should be with us in the present day.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Party would have to put forward a new nominee.

Probaby the next most popular candidate from the primaries.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If that happens, USA will have a Great Woman, a true American, a Patriot as president. Her name: Sarah "The True One" Palin.

• Chuck
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'm so very tired of seeing this question.

• 1 decade ago

they would pik a new nominee and i think they would not be so stupid to pik palin.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.