312312 asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Practicing martial arts...and glasses? ?

Hi, I'm looking into practicing martial arts this summer (maybe TKD or BJJ) and was wondering would I have to take my glasses off (haha)? I have bad eyesight, I used to play basketball with my glasses on and have gotten hit a few times but my vision is blurry without them and I really don't want to use contacts thanksz

Favorite Answer

Sports glasses are available. They have a heavy plastic frame, plastic lenses and an elastic strap that holds them on.

This one wears a pair when he practices aikido and it is wonderful to actually be able to see while on the mat.

Be well and good luck.

I know what you mean I am dang near legally blind without my glasses. There are sports glasses you can buy from your eye doctor that work real well, I used to use them or you can get contacts which work alot better.

Since I ran out of contacts I have been fighting more and more without my glasses and although everything is blurry it is allowing my other senses to become stronger and reactions to become quicker and sharper.

I trained with this one black belt who was blind and it gave me a whole new insight on the beauty of what God has created, when one thing is taken away from us our body naturally begins to cover up for what's missing.

With BJJ you don't need to be able to see anyway, because it's close range combat you go off of the feel of the opponent and his body positioning to yours. TDK is a kicking art that if your reaction isn't quick enough then you will get knocked out with a kick to the head.

Both are great sport martial arts, but have their limitations on the streets especially if you have a vision impairment or poor eyesight without glasses. I would suggest an all around art where you can fight in close if you loose your glasses or strike to eliminate the threat before you loose your glasses, like Kenpo, Kajukenbo, penjat salat, kali, or one of those and they're fun to.

Source(s): Martial Arts researcher, historian and technician. Trained in Martial Arts for 24 years.

I've been practicing karate for 25 years and teaching for 13 and this always pops up. There are pros and cons for both. The best advice I can give is to wear your glasses. If you get hit while wearing them, you learn to move your head. If you get hit while using contacts, you could lose the contact. They also make prescription sport goggles. someone suggested getting the lazer surgery, but if you have pre existing conditions (such as herpes) you can't get the surgery. Practice moving you noggin and put you glasses on.

You can have special sports glasses made. I wear my glasses some times. It depends on what I'm doing. We have several students with glasses. Make sure to wear head gear when sparring with your glasses on this helps a little. The best solution is to get special sport glasses. Check with your optometrist.

Source(s): Taekwando instructor

I would talk to the trainer of the martial art your going to take I take BJJ and MMA and have glasses, but the trainer is the best for a recommendation.

• Kokoro

you will have to take them off for sparing.

but they do also have special glasses for combat. i've see people use them

depending on your school contact lenses may be a bad idea. we get into some nasty sparing in my dojo and getting hit in the eye hard can mess you up if you were contacts.

just remember hit the big blurry thing in front of you very hard, when the blurry thing come at you block, that's what i do anyway

Source(s): 30+ years ma shotokan shito ryu

I'm a martial artist who wears glasses and the only time I DON'T wear my glasses is when I'm sparring(which is only once a month). The rest of the time, my glasses are on my head-- where they belong! :)

Yeah,There is 1 kid in my MMA Class that wears Glasses,He has them on for Bag work,and stuff,but sparing he had to take them off,Try Contacts?

• mako

If you want to practise contact sports you have to wear contact lenses or take off you glasses. No compromise.

It takes ten seconds for YAnswers questions to display for me to be able to click on [add your answer] box. does this mean my laptop is slow??