Spider identification?

This spider has been on my back porch for about a week. I have been leaving the back porch light on and he has been eating well. He comes out about 9pm and does a few repairs on his web then waits. He has very distict marking on the bottom of his abdomen. White and yellow markings on a black square. I have been catching moths and throwing them into its web. Very fun to watch.

• J S
    Favorite Answer

Learn to ID it with the help of these sites and even if you do not find what you are looking for you will be able to ID any other in the future -

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1954

http://www.arachnology.be/pages/Pictures.html

http://www.insectimages.org/browse/order.cfm?id=12

Google brown recluse spiders to see pictures of them. I've been thinking quite a bit about brown recluse spiders myself today and have decided to order some glue traps to place around my house to trap any spiders that may be present. Then I can either reassure myself that I don't have the brown recluse or I can have the information I need to try to rid my house of a dangerous pest. And despite being a bio teacher, I am terrified of spiders, too. I'd rather see a snake or a mouse in my room any day.

If you can't post a picture, a little more detail would help, like if the web is a mesh or orb (the classic spider web shape), and what primary color of the body.

Male black and brown widows can have white and yellow markings like that during adolescence.

Sounds like an Orb weaving spider. After a quick check on the web, I was unable to I.D. your spider. A clear pic would greatly help in accurately identifying it. (Also where is the spider located? State?)

p.s. Way cool that you're having fun watching it. I'm thrilled to see a question about spiders that isn't negative! They're great!

Best,

~spiderjane

Source(s): Zookeeper 17+ yrs. Invertebrates

Sounds like a Common Orb Weaver. (Or a Jeweled Orb Weaver, but I'd bet on the first one.) Google Image search for that name and you'l be bound to see the guy you're talking about.

I see these guys everywhere around dwelling...in windows, outside back doors, under porch lights, etc...and they're out in full force right now.

They are primarily brown and yellow -- and, yes, they do have a black/yellow/red/white (depending on it's color variation) square-shaped marking on the underside of their abdomen.

These guys CAN bite, but only if very provoked, and they're not poisonous, so don't worry. BTW...if you catch one spinning it's web, check it out. Orb weavers spin the "traditional" circular webs, and it can be fascinating to see them in action.

Good luck!

Source(s): Wildlife biology student / Non-profit public garden intern... and a good insect/arachnid ID book ;)

Sounds like a common field spider. We have them and they are a large spider.

shld be kind of garden spider. many garden spiders have yellow and white markings.