becoming an exchange student....?

Hey, ive been looking into being an exchange student, i am 16 years old and am from the US, and would like to be an exchange student for either a year or half-year in a german speaking country(Germany or Switzerland preferably) or Norway

and i am in my Junior year and would like to do it my senior year, this has been a dream of mine for a while, and im taking advanced german this year, but the only thing really stopping my is that most of the programs i see cost alot of money, which is pretty much the only thing stopping me is the money issue

#1, actually paying the program that takes me there, and #2 how the hell do i get a source of income once im over there?? because most exchange students i know are pretty loaded, like a kid from germany in my french class has parents that are LOADED, but thats not me, hahaha, well yeah, any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

Favorite Answer

You should apply for the Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange scholarship to Germany. http://www.usagermanyscholarship.org/. They haven't updated the deadline on the website, but I would check directly with whatever organization works with your region (check the map) and make sure. It should be in December.

It is a full year program available to US students (up to age 18/freshly out of high school), and the the application deadline for your senior year is actually this fall -- so you're asking at the exact right time! It pays for all the big things -- flights, a language camp and transportation to your host family from the airport (by train). You have to pay for all your other expenses like toiletries, clothes, etc. but your host family feeds you, etc. (and you can control your expenses by limiting your extra spending)

As for working, you cannot work on a student visa, which is what you have to go over there. The only kind of jobs you'd be able to do are "under the table" jobs like babysitting, but your exchange organization may restrict that, as well.

But, really, when you're saving $10,000 by going on a scholarship, a monthly stipend of, say, $200 from your parents isn't that much. When I was there I spent between $200 and $500 a month (the latter was RARE). Mind you, this is when the exchange rate was the opposite of now and the dollar was strong, so some of my purchases were frivolous. You'll need to budget $2,000 - $3,000 spending money for the year, ideally. (and if you do get the scholarship, look around locally for a scholarship that might give you some spending money)

Good luck, and it's awesome that you want to go to Germany! The Congress Bundestag scholarship really changed my life, and I can't recommend it more highly!

Source(s): personal experience (CBYX student 2000/2001) http://www.usagermanyscholarship.org/
  • Feisty

Clare is correct. One way to go is the Bundestag scholarship!

YFU also has a couple of others (2008's shown, 2009 not yet posted)

YFU Scholarship Information Sheet

2008 YFU Stiftung

Eligibility: Up to 20 full year and semester scholarships. Open to US minority high school students with freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior class standing. Students must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average on a 4.0 scale.

2008 YFU Stipendium Program to Germany -- Open to US high school students with freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior class standing. Students must hold a 3.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale. Scholarships range from $2000 - $6500. Students will be mailed a financial form, to be completed and returned by a parent or legal guardian. Finalists for this scholarship are selected on merit-based criteria and the amount of scholarship award is determined by financial need.

2008 Young Leaders Fellowship -- Two full scholarships for African-American students to participate in the year program to Germany. Students must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average on a 4.0 scale

well, for the income problem, foreign exchange programs usually have home stay families for the exchange students to live with, you might want to get a simple part time job there, but thats up to you, so that problem is solved. I don't know what to tell you about your other money problem, sorry.