do the amish vote in the elections?

just wondering i assume they do-- i guess the only place they could get info on the candidates would be the newspapers....

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Amish are free to vote, but very few do.This is because the Amish do not want to be conformed with the world and many regard voting as conforming with the world.

"The church forbids membership in political organizations and holding public office for several reasons. First, running for office is viewed as arrogant and out of character with esteemed Amish values of humility and modesty. Second, office-holding violates the religious principle of separation from the world. Finally, public officials must be prepared to use legal force if necessary to settle civic disputes. The exercise of legal force mocks the stance of nonresistance. Voting, however, is viewed as a personal matter. Although the church does not prohibit it, few persons vote. Those who do vote are likely to be younger businessmen concerned about local issues. Although voting is considered a personal matter, jury duty is not allowed."

-Donald Kraybill

http://www.everyculture.com/multi/A-Br/Amish.html

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Most Amish do not vote. The Amish in our area (Illinois) do not, but the Mennonites usually do. I found this on wikipedia:

Contrary to popular belief, some of the Amish vote, and they have been courted by national parties as potentially swing voters: their pacifism and social conscience cause some of them to be drawn to left-of-center politics, while their generally conservative outlook causes others to favor the right wing.

• 3 years ago

properly Amish human beings do no longer pay taxes, they do no longer visit conflict and combat... each and every thing that the presidential applicants characterize (at the same time with well being care, gay marriages, abortion) do no longer prepare to them. as properly... via fact they do no longer watch television or study magazines (a number of them might study the paper, in spite of the undeniable fact that it could be a community paper) how might they actually learn who they wished to vote for? the easy answer is that i do no longer understand. yet i think of based on the data, the respond is not any.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, though they often need a friendly reminder as they don't pay a lot of attention to the outside world sometimes. So, they can, more than they do.

They are even courted as a crucial voting demographic in some swing states.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5613947/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, many of the Amish vote. They're conservative, so they tend to vote Republican as the lesser of two evils.

• 1 decade ago

I don't believe that Amish and Jehovah Witnesses vote.

• 1 decade ago

yes and if you look it up they for Republican. The last election in lancater county, Pa they voted 95% for Bush

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The GOP seems to think they do since they are reported as courting their vote.

• 1 decade ago

If they are 18 or over and are registered.

• 1 decade ago

Yes they do vote.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.