Soñadora asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do you think I can teach myself some French?

I took a very basic course of French and I know some phrases, how to greet people, how to introduce myself, a very nouns and verbs, etc. I want to learn more French. I can't keep taking classes because of a few problems I have, but I was hoping to learn some French on my own. I have a copy of "French Made Simple" and I was flipping through some pages and it seems good, but I was wondering if you guys think I can actually learn something in this manner, or if you think it will be useless, since I can't really practice what I've learned or hear how things are pronounced.

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I have "French For Dummies" too. =p

btw, I speak English and Spanish is my native language.

Rosetta Stone costs money, which I don't have... :-(

Favorite Answer

i did and so can you.

it wanst but 5 months ago that i really started to speak french fluently.

im from haiti and my first languge is haitian creole, and the words are made mostly form french, so that helped me out some.

i took french in the 8th grade, but it never interested till the begining of next year when i was in french 2.

then i founded about.com french on the internet

http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/French_Vocab...

http://french.about.com/

it really helped me out.

i learned very quickly.

i was born in haiti so i already knew the numbers alphabet and how to pronounce correctly, but about.com helped me with a lot.

i stated to get more interested in the languge, and my parents speak french, so i asked them to help me too.

so you do need someone to practice with.

the more you see french and listen to french the more familiar youll get with it.

i mean me, we read the bible all the time sing songs, but i never really understood anything.

but now i can think in thelanguge, so i dont really have to think when i hear something. i can respond back just like that.

but i need like a person from france to help me speak faster and understand more accurately and all that.

like when listening to songs, i can make out a summary, but i wouldnt understand word for word.

AND ALSO SICE YOU KNOW SPANISH, FRENCH SHOULD BE A LOT EASIER THEN IF YOU KNOW JUST ENGLISH.

IM IN THE 10TH GRADE AND TAKING SPANISH THIS YEAR.

LEARNING FRENCH REALLY HELPED ME TO BE ADVANCED IN SPANISH. I'M FAMILIAR WITH A LOT OF THE NUMBERS, PRONOUNCIATON BECAUSE FRENCH AND SPANISH DID COME FROM LATIN.

IM TRYING TO SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH BY THE END OF THE YEAR, AND THERE ARE A LOT OF LATINOS IN MY SCHOOL.

Hello!

I'm french, and to improve yourself, i think you should read french magazines like "Le point" (right wing) or "Le nouvel Obs" or "Marianne" (left wing) or "L'express", especially if you like politics and society issues. Then, i think that watching some videos of the channels "LCI" or "iTélé" that are news channels should help you to get used to the accent and the rythm of the language particularly.

You also should try to exchange messages with a french guy that would like to learn english for instance. It could be good for both.

I hope it will help you.

See you!

yeah definitely.

French can be hard when it ocmes to grammars and wrting and somtime pronouncing.

but it is easy to catch

myself, living in a country where french is the second language ( canada) I know french like the average french peopl. Not perfectly.. but i can communicate in french.

I've been learning it since i was 9 and now im in my teenss 16.

Just keep on practising and soon youll be speaking in no time

Bonne chance!

I would suggest that you invest in French language tapes....Since you will be studying on your own it is so very important to sound out the words. You need to know how the words sound in order to catch them on your ears. This is the only way that you will become eproficient.

I highly recommend the brand....Rosetta stone...listen to the tapes in the car / on your personal listening device etc etc...Since you are fluent in PSanish it will come very quickly and easily for you as they are both romance based language and share so many roots..

Bienvenue et je vous souhaite de bonne chance avec vos etudes!

• John

Of course you can. French is not a very difficult language in terms of learning the basics =]

Best of luck!

Source(s): Fluent French Speaker, Lived in Amiens Most of My Life
  • barb m

I'm currently learning french on my own and with the help of taking french lessons from adult ed before it helped me with my trips to Quebec.

Try renting french foreign films and look on line for french dictionaries to improve your french. Doesn't hurt to make friends with someone who speaks french and start a dialogue.

good luck.

Absolument, chérie.

Vous devriez employer 'Rosetta Stone' pour le Français, oui?

Il est très bon pour apprendre de nouvelles langues.

Source(s): Voilá: http://www.rosettastone.com/

No one can stop you if you really want to learn !!!

so ... Try ur best ... know more by learn more !!!

Source(s): ^^ HassaN ^^

French is what some people call profanity!

If someone curses (cusses) you might hear someone say "Watch your French!"

Previous answers were really good. Good luck!!