Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Does Brushing with Baking Soda really whiten teeth?

Mom always told me brushing with baking soda would whiten up my teeth and make them feel a lot cleaner. Not sure though, never used it or tried it before. I'm a heavy pop drinker so my teeth aren't as white as they used to be or I'd like them to be. The thing is I bought Crest White Strips praying those work also. Could I use those along with brushing w/ baking soda for good results?

Any feedback would be great, thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Baking Soda will remove stains from the teeth, if that is the issue for you. Baking Soda is NOT as abrasive as many dentifrices (toothpastes) can be. However, with the number of products available to address stains and claiming to whiten teeth (and sample sizes of most toothpastes can be found at your local Walgreens) - why not just try some out. Baking Soda can be abrasive to the gum tissue if you are not brushing effectively. Crest White Strips are fine to try. Some people notice an increase in sensitivity when using them - but everyone is different. I would be more concerned about the heavy pop habit.

I am currently seeing many patients - especially young adults - with high decay rates as a result of the use of pop and energy drinks. If you have not had a dental checkup in a while - like over one year - I would definitely get to Dentist and get an exam and professional cleaning (prophylaxis). The Hygienist can help polish off stains.

Best of luck to you.

Source(s): I am a Registered Dental Hygienist

The most common option used as homemade teeth whitening agent is baking soda, which has a mild bleaching action. Given that it is used in baking, it also implies safety. Baking soda is sprinkled on the toothbrush, and teeth then cleaned using a gentle, circular motion. Care should still be taken though, especially for people with gum sensitivity. Old wives’ recipes often state that a paste of baking powder, a little salt, and a few drops of white vinegar, works effectively.

Salt, used exactly as baking soda, is also touted as being a good teeth whitener. However, it might just be its osmosis, dehydrating action that makes teeth appear whiter, since dehydrated teeth look whiter.

Lemon juice is often used, but it had high acidic levels, so teeth can weaken in the long run. Other natural, fruit options regard rubbing the inside of an orange peel on the teeth. A strawberry cut in half and the inside rubbed on teeth also works. Mashed strawberry can also be applied with a toothbrush. Apple cider vinegar is also said to be effective. Dried orange rind, and walnut bark, is also good.

For other effective home teeth whitening solutions, you may wish to read about them here : http://teeth-whitening.my-fashion-house.com/

• How to Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda

Everybody brushes their teeth with normal toothpaste, right? Well, with this at-home product, you can brush your teeth and make them whiter in fourteen days!

Steps

1. Wet your toothbrush with cold water and dip it into baking soda. All of the bristles should be covered so that your toothbrush is white.

2. Brush your teeth for five minutes (spitting if necessary) two times a day.

3. Spit the baking soda toothpaste out and rinse your mouth clean with water. If there is a tingling or burning feeling in your mouth, this is perfectly normal. See "Warnings" for what might not be normal. And please always brush your teeth...

Tips

* After brushing your teeth, brush your tongue with your favorite toothpaste and/or use a tongue scraper. Bad breath is related to teeth only when they house food debris and plaque. The main cause of bad breath is bacteria growing on the tongue.

* An alternative method involves putting baking soda on the toothbrush and wetting it with a little bit of hydrogen peroxide (the cheap stuff one pours on cuts). It really does work!

Warnings

* Do not use this method too often as the abrasive can permanently damage the enamel of your teeth. There are some special toothpaste brands (often for smokers) which contain much gentler abrasives than baking soda. They can be used daily without any risk for the health of your teeth and help to remove not only tobacco stains but also stains from coffee, tea, and wine.

* Baking soda can dissolve orthodontic glue. Do not use this method if you have braces or a permanent retainer.

* Best used only 2 or 3 times a month.

Source(s): WikiHow

Baking soda will remove stains but will not whiten your teeth past their general color. However, baking soda is an antimicrobial so it does kill bugs. It's also somewhat gritty, so it gets that biofilm off the teeth well.

Watch out for those sodas. You may not have cavities now, but they will show up in a few years. Generally these form between the teeth and will be detected on xray.

The real bear about drinking soda is most kids in their late teens quit listening to their mom on this. So by the time they show up with cavities, they are on their own and have a huge dental bill. Yikes!!

Switch to water or unsweetened tea. You won't be drinking that nasty corn syrup that way. Corn syrup causes insulin to spike and puts on the pounds. Apparently diet soda is being shown to cause weight gain in women due to the body not being able to handle the artificial sweeteners.

Oh, by the way, the white strips will work nicely. Rembrandt makes a strip that sticks to the teeth...way easier to use than the Crest ones are.

• Yes

my dentist told me NOT to brush with baking soda, not even with toothpaste that has baking soda in it. baking soda is abrasive and wears the enamel of your teeth off, so in the end they might look even worse, not to mention increased sensitivity. i'd say if you're gonna do it, don't overdo it.

Yes, it does. Although i just use whitening strips.