sump pump drain line?

I have a sump pump for my basement that pumps out about a gallon of water once or twice a day. i am wanting to pipe the water out into my yard but i dont want a big hole where it drains. i was thinking about digging a hole/ditch at the end of the pipe and putting some rock to fill in the hole. any suggestions? what size hole/ditch etc? also, should i just use straight pvc pipe (2 1/2") or would it be better to use the perforated stuff?

Update:

i live in an area where it freezes, will the french thing still work? any other suggestions with the added freezing situation?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

depends on what is at the other end of the pipe

I have perforated 1 and 1/2 inch flexible pipe that drains over a length of 6 feet into a 10 by 5 foot patch of ground cover foliage, completely concealing the pipe

you want the effluent end of your pipe to "see daylight" in case you have some flooding, ideally at a level that makes it unlikely to drain back towards your house

if you make a ditch it should drain away from the house, use perforate pipe in ditch, you could bury solid effluent pipe with length appropriate for your pump, and exit the water a distance from your house

the placement really is better determined by your specific site for looks as well as function, so you may do best to find a neighbor with similar layout and water output and copy

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

This will work, but with a simple hole, you are limiting the surface area the water can be dissipated over. A french drain could be installed giving you more area to allow the water to be absorbed. Best would be to pipe it in solid PVC until you are at least 5 feet from your house, then install the perforated line in a bed of gravel. Top the gravel with some landscaping cloth before you add the top soil. Also, make sure you keep everything sloped away from the house.

• 1 decade ago

You could make a french drain with rock ,or could put in tank, and use it as grey water to water plants lawn etc.

• 4 years ago

yes it can be done that way.and it is a better way good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.