What's an easy, FUN way to teach a kid their multiplication tables?

I was bad at math as a kid because nobody made it fun for me.....Now I'm babysitting one of my friend's kids & I'm supposed to help him learn his multiplication tables.... 6-8

Do any of you know of any fun ways to teach him???

Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

Use flashcards to get them to memorize them. This is the BEST way ever. That's the secret: memorization. You can get them to go against each other to make it a game. They compete and you can give them incentive prizes to make it more fun.

Well for a kid thats learning 0-12 multiplication, 6,7,8 can be the hardest of all.

So for 6- if you multiply 6 by an even number, they both end in the same digit. Example: 6×2=12, 6×4=24, 6×6=36.

For 7- there aren't too many tricks for 7....

For 8- all I really got is this rhyme, 8 and 8 fell on the floor when theygot up they were 64. 8 times 8 equals 64.

So I probably didn't help too much but good luck.

Knowing that multiplication is repetitive addition is an essential skill for learning mathematics. I would start there. Work with having your child place objects into arrays. For example, use toy cars. Make 3 rows of 2, show how 3 + 3=6 and then explain 3 x 2 = 6, then make 2 rows of 3, explaining 2 x 3 = 6 also. Skip counting by 2's, 3's, 5's, etc... is also a good way to begin to understand multiplication. Good luck.

i always used to make up songs to remember things when i was a kid. its fun and you dont really remember that you are doing work.

or use m&ms. like say youre doing 4 x 4. put four groups of four candies, and that way they can actually see the amount and not just the numbers.

hope i helped!

My sister just taught me this way. It's pretty cool. Hold up your ten fingers and do this:

Example 9x8: Count to eight on your fingers and put the 8th finger down - you'll be left with 7 fingers before and 2 fingers after the down finger = 72!

She said it works for all the tables...I haven't tried it on all of them...I did think it was pretty cool though.

reward kids who practice their multiplication tables with candy. or have contests where you have two kids, and you ask them both a multiplication question like......5 times 3 and the first one to answer wins a jelly baby or something

Source(s): when i was a kid in primary school
  • A

make a song what does 6X1 = six

and 6X2 = come on you knowww it 12 that's right 12 and now what does

6X3 = 18 18 one more time 6x3 = 18

and so and so if that doesn't work make flash cards ,i had roller blade ones :) good luck

u can BUY or TRY At www.interactive.Resorses.com OR Buy Numbershark Best Versions 3 AND 4

have you and the child make a multiplication table together...kind of like a art project. they will get interested right off the bat. they are proud of themselves when they can use something that they helped make.

• ?

Make a game of it; children learn the most through play...