when is the right time to potty train?

my daughter is 17 months old and ive been putting her on the potty but she usually just wants to get right up. yesterday she finally went but i think it was an accident because a couple hours later i tried it again and she wouldnt go....but went in her diaper immediately after. how do you know when they are ready? do you think she even realized she was peeing or was it just perfect timing?

Favorite Answer

I potty trained my 3 kids and it seems like a bunch of factors coming together. First they have to be physically able to control their bladder then they have to practice and learn how to do it. My kids were interested in the toilet and I wanted education to be the foundation of potty training. I explained that adults and big kids only use the toilet for pee and poo. I researched and found a very safe and very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so they could hold on the entire time. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

My kids climbed up right away and were confident that they could do it. They potty trained right away and this stool made all the difference. Well worth it. Hope this helps.

You might want to try to put your child in underwear that way you know that she knows when she has went or she can feel it herself and not like having wet undies on and will be more willing to use the toilet. (you will have a lot more laundry to do) Also you have to be willing to make this an everyday commitment this is not something you can do every-other day. This worked like a charm for my daughter. As for getting her to sit on the toilet longer try giving her a book, stickers, sing a song or you can even keep a white board next to the potty and let her draw while she using the potty

Sounds like it was a coincidence. I tried to potty train my daughter when she was really young too. I ended up putting it away and trying again when she was 24 months. What a difference. That time it only took a week or so. Save yourself the hassle: do it later.

Most parents start at age 2. By then, your childs body is physically ready for it and your child is more emotionally ready as well. However, once you've started, you can judge to see if your child is ready or not. Many boys are not potty trained until they are closer to 3 yrs old. You just gotta go with the flow with this kinda stuff.

they say to wait until the child is ready, they will let you know that they want to be a big boy or big girl. put them on every once in a while so they know it is an aption for them. my son is 3 years and 3 months, and we finally started potty training yesterday! he just has not been interested. now he loves being a big boy, we got him big boy undies, not pull-ups. he has only went himself once, and we give him an m&m if he pees, and 2 m&ms if he poops. i am hoping he will be fully trained by next weekend when we go on vacation to the hot air balloon fest! good luck!

Your doing the right thing. Start them early. Its all about repeating the process. Keep putting her on the potty and she will eventually get the hint. I did it early for my daughter too. She was potty trained before she turned 2.