What is the difference between "The United States" and "The United States of America"?

I know that in laws, there is very little reference to "America", and usually "United States" is used.
I think I'm beginning to understand the difference, but I'd like to hear what other people think.
Update: Thanks for the answers so far- but I'm surprised at how few people seem to know the difference. For example, you know Title 26, the income tax law? It NEVER ONCE refers to Americans, or the United States of America. It does define the United States, though, as including only D.C., Guam, and the federal... show more Thanks for the answers so far- but I'm surprised at how few people seem to know the difference.

For example, you know Title 26, the income tax law? It NEVER ONCE refers to Americans, or the United States of America. It does define the United States, though, as including only D.C., Guam, and the federal territories, and does not mention the Union, or the 50 states, or the several states.

The United States is it's own entity, not including ANY of the 50 states. I know that people use the terms interchangeably all the time, but in a legal sense. They are VERY different.

This fact has a huge bearing on your citizenship, and your rights! I encourage you all to look into the matter with an open mind, and be willing to realize that the average person may have been fooled into claiming a citizenship status that allows the government to suck billions if not trillions of dollars from us, and still rack up a huge debt.

As it stands, Americans work FOUR MONTHS out of the year to pay taxes.