Do you think I would be able to enlist with...?

I REALLY would like to join the National Guard and was wondering if I would be able to do so with the following issues:

At age 12-13 I was diagnosed with PTSD(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder), I have not been on any medication for my ADD since I was about 15. (I'm currently 23) and have never had any treatment for the PTSD, on my own accord I went to the doctor and received a note from them saying that I did not show any symptoms of either of those issues.

I also have had a history of Urinary Tract Infections, I have heard this might possibly bar me from enlistment anyone know for sure?

I have one misdemeanor from 2004 (Attempted Fleeing) which is sealed from civilians, but unfortunately not from the military. Would I need a waiver for this, or since I only have one misdemeanor I should be ok? (I also have a few traffic tickets, but nothing too serious an ACDA and a Signal)

Thanks so much for your help.

I was taking Dexedrine for ADD. I am under the understanding that the Army has recently lowered the qualifications so that if I was off medication for at least a year had doctor approval, and/or could show that I was able to do well in school while being off the medication (Which I have many transcripts from HS and College that can proove that) I would be able to go through. What I'm more concerned about is that if I disclose the ADD (which I know to be waiverable) that I have to disclose the PTSD as well which I think may be a PDQ.

• AJ
    Favorite Answer

You may need a few waivers... call a recruiter, until MEPS denies the waivers you're good

Source(s): USMC 04-08 Navy Wife

You say you haven't taken medication for ADD since age 15...were you taking Ritalin?

When I was on recruiting duty (ages ago), any use of Ritalin was a disqualifier.

Stating you don't currently have symptoms of those issues is like an ostrich putting their head in the ground. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there.

Edit - I stand corrected on the Ritalin experience, from what I've learned it is now waivable as long as you haven't taken it in the past 6 months. The ADD and PTSD will still be concerns for an S3 disqualifier on the physical, the MEPS doctors will want to review copies of your medical records on this.

Well since you got that note saying you didnt show symptoms of either disorder, technically you never had it so that shouldnt bar you at all. The urinary tract infection might bar you, i would call a recruiter though and ask because if your straight with the recruiter, they'll be straight with you adn do their best to get you in

I think they should still accept you! So go ahead and try !i