How do you get your children to eat what is good for them?

What are some of the ways you get your children to eat what is good for them? I'm not just talking about buying nutritious foods. How do actually get them to eat it? Do you humor them? Do you threaten them? Do you pay them? Beg them? Threaten to take your own life if they don't eat everything on their plate? ... show more What are some of the ways you get your children to eat what is good for them? I'm not just talking about buying nutritious foods. How do actually get them to eat it? Do you humor them? Do you threaten them? Do you pay them? Beg them? Threaten to take your own life if they don't eat everything on their plate? And do you always expect them to eat everything on their plate at meal time?
Update: Oh I should tell you. When I was a kid my parents and I had a Mexican standoff. I hated tomato soup. Supper was at 5:00 PM. I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate my soup. They let me leave the table at midnight- soup wasn't touched. To this day I still don't like it- but I enjoy... show more Oh I should tell you. When I was a kid my parents and I had a Mexican standoff. I hated tomato soup. Supper was at 5:00 PM. I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate my soup. They let me leave the table at midnight- soup wasn't touched. To this day I still don't like it- but I enjoy tomatoes!

I know what my parents were trying to do but I don't know if I would have gone about it quite that way.