Why is the water of Gulf of Mexico warm?

News channels say, Hurricane Ike is likely to strengthen because it is moving over the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico. But, why is the water of the Gulf of Mexico warm? Because it is mostly surrounded by land? Or because it is not so deep? Or because of the oil refineries? Why?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Max
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Gulf of Mexico's latitude and warm ocean currents are the two main factors.

The Gulf Stream, a warm Atlantic Ocean current and one of the strongest ocean currents known, originates in the Gulf of Mexico, as a continuation of the Caribbean-Yucatán-Loop Current system.

The Gulf of Mexico is also shallow because of the continental shelf from surrounding land.

• oster
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i love it! no extra stupid chilly winters. i will bypass order some orange and palm trees for my outdoor. i'm in college and that i recognize the nice and cozy temperature climate because the ladies will proceed to positioned on the quick-shorts and minskirts without panties! it really is likewise very sturdy for England and northern Europe. almost all their wintry climate warm temperature comes from the Gulf flow. they'd have 70 degree days in late December at the same time as the solar units at 3:00 PM. ha ha

• 6 years ago

2 or 3 times a week a 5 feet wide layer of light foam will come in about 4:30 pm and the water right behind it is cold.

• 1 decade ago

it is located by the equator and the gulf stream brings the warm water threw there north it get the most sunlight

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

good q its probably warm because its not so deep and the sunshines alot there keeping the water warm??

the water is always warm here in australia at least in the beaches near where i live

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.