I was recruited, but not signed on YET to Primerica. Is Primerica a scam?

Two days ago, I got a call for a position with a financial company, Primerica. At the time I was very delighted to heard that such an opportunity was available. I went for a Primerica presentation today (2 days later), and it was a really great presentation, they sold it REALLY well. I was very convinced, but of... show more Two days ago, I got a call for a position with a financial company, Primerica. At the time I was very delighted to heard that such an opportunity was available. I went for a Primerica presentation today (2 days later), and it was a really great presentation, they sold it REALLY well. I was very convinced, but of course, also VERY hesistant due to the fact that I had absolutely no background in finance, I have NO IDEA who referred me, and there were alot of other random people in the presentation room as well (a variety of students--in punkish clothing, and in conservative clothing, college and high school), there were also a few business looking people (or looks like it; guys in dress pants and shirts and ties), there was this women (in her 20s) heals and a evening party looking tropical dress, and a few older guys.

During the presentation they showed the rule of 72, and 2 very successful "primericans." One age 29- $178,000 salary, and the other is a VP, age 28 -- $273,000 salary. He pitched the company VERY WELL.

The training process/ class is $100 to get you government approved lisence to sell life insurance, and some other gov't lisence for $25 per session (so that's about $200 in total). They mentioned that if you were trying to obtain these lisences in college it would take you 2-2.5 yrs and alot more money (of course, 2 years is like $8000 ??). So they cram thoses classes into 40hrs, with an examination afterwards.

ANYHOW, 'say' i DO pass the exam, is working for primerica actually as good as they make it sound? They also mentioned something along the lines of "you can earn about $1000 dollars in 5 hours of work" -- something along the lines of that.

Well, I am VERY skeptical about it. I have read on another yahoo answer about it being a scam, but that was from 2005. What about now??

PS-The office was not very professional looking. It was quite small for the "largest growing north american financial company."
-The were recuiting alot of random people, there were no requirements.
-They also told me to refer a friend or family member.
-They asked for a reference who would know my personality and how I deal with money. They asked me to provide two references, one was my current employer, the other was a long time friend [she suggested this]. I questioned my interviwer on this when she mentioned a friend. "Is it okay to use a friend??" "yep, that's fine." --I found this very odd and not professional.
-Application and recruiting process is very FAST.
-[I heard about it monday, interview wednesday (today), a VERY easy interview (did not even realized it was the actual and ONE interview-- no second interview required), and they want to talk about it to me again on friday and sign me on to their program]

--I think I will decline, but I am very curious, is Primerica a scam or is it just this cycling rumor?
-- Or is there anyone that has worked with Primerica/ been recruited, how was it?