Does Joe Biden still accept communion?

Though he was asked not to by the Catholic Church.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

We don't really know whether he has been specifically, personally asked not to present himself for Communion by his own archibishop; usually this is initially done privately. My sense is that he is still receiving, based on a recent interview, because he believes he is a devout Catholic. I'm not sure how he squares that with his rather relativist view of abortion, and especially in the face of the very clear terms in which Cardinal Eagan recently framed it.

Contrary to a few of the opinions here, we do have a right to question this when it involves a public figure if they are giving scandal to the Church -- the rest of us, in other words -- by appearing to thumb their noses at the requirement we all have to receive in a state of grace. That's not some arbitrary rule, it's Scriptural (1 Corinthians 11:27-30).

The other who have mentioned that Abp. Chaput of Denver was the one who publicly stated that Biden, Pelosi, et al, shouldn't receive Communion are correct, but I don't know of any US bishop who wouldn't agree.

If he has somehow rationalized this in his mind, I pray that he comes to true repentance and reconciliation. He is our brother, and I'm not about to condemn him, but I do feel sadness for him.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

it incredibly is that bishop's call. it incredibly is only that straightforward. locate out who it incredibly is and write him. I guess he will write decrease back while you're making sense on your letter (additionally, while you're Catholic, of direction. while you're no longer, then what do you care???) You look to think of it incredibly is an straightforward remember, and it incredibly is not. One has to have specific compelling motives for denying communion, and that i don't have the religious education to establish what all that could desire to be. additionally, many Catholics do no longer believe the situation you reported. If a guy or woman in sturdy ethical sense believes a Church place is incorrect, then that guy or woman should not be inhibited from receiving. be careful approximately judging something in case you haven't any longer have been given each and all of the info. Joe Biden has no longer been excommunicated in any respect. The bishop of Scranton is only blowing smoke, because Joe does not stay there. Others taken care of in this form (see article link) have chanced on yet another bishop who grow to be better than prepared to grant them communion. So I say back, it incredibly is not that straightforward. comments variety, and all of us who says it incredibly is decrease-and-dry only does not have the total tale. you may get a great variety of info in this remember with the aid of your Google seek engine. do no longer place self belief in individuals posting here who've insufficient recommendations.

• 1 decade ago

Who said Biden should not take communion? THE ARCHBISHOP OF DENVER. Not the Vatican, and not "the Catholic Church" - not even Biden's own archbishop. Stop spreading misinformation, and next time check your facts.

• 5 years ago

Any Catholic priest who recognizes Joe Biden and believes that Mr. Biden approves of abortion, can and should deny Uncle Joe from the sacrament....PERIOD!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have your facts wrong.

The Archbishop of Denver said he shouldn't take it.

That Archbishop has no authority over Biden who lives in the diocese of Delaware and the Maryland's Eastern Shore.

• 1 decade ago

The catholic church has no authority to tell anyone they can or can not accept communion. It is strictly between the person and God.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

yes

even though i only saw a 5 min interveiw , he seemed to be very devout Catholic

you need to back up such an allegation.

i think it is a rumor that he is not asked to by the catholic church

• I'm not sure, but why would the church ask him not to. He hasn't committed any sin to be excommunicated. If your talking about abortion rights, he has a duty by law to enforce that law. It doesn't mean he is pro abortion. The Catholic church would have a pretty small congregation if they excommunicated everyone who was pro choice or used birth control.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, he rejects communion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Who gives a crap. Religion isn't the point anyway and shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with politics.

Religion is like kinky sex... no one elses damned business.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.