Artist who covered Leonard Cohen song Suzanne?

I have been trying for years to figure out who the artist is of this cover song. I heard it on the radio in the early 90's (probably 91, 92?). It is a cover of the song Suzanne by Leonard Cohen, sung by a woman. She repeatedly goes "doo, doo, doo, doooo doo doo, doo, doo, doooo doo doo, doo, doo dooo doodadoo, doodadoo" and I am pretty sure it has a dance-ish beat to the whole thing. Definitely more upbeat than the Leonard Cohen version. It reminds me of Tom's Diner by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega. It probably came out to capitalize on the success of DNA's Tom Diner remix since it is similar and I heard it around the same time. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

"Suzanne" has been covered by many artists, including:

Judy Collins on the album In My Life (1966). Collins' version was a partial inspiration for Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses."

Josh White, Jr. on the album The Josh White, Jr. Album (1967) United Artists.

Harry Belafonte on his 1969 album, Homeward Bound.

Herman van Veen recorded a Dutch translation on the single "Suzanne" (1969)

Fabrizio de André recorded an Italian translation on the single "Suzanne/Giovanna D'Arco" (1972); the B-side is another Cohen translation ("Joan of Arc")

Joan Baez on three different albums, as well as in Bob Dylan's 1978 concert film Renaldo & Clara.

Neil Diamond on the album Stones (1971)

Roberta Flack on the album Killing Me Softly (1973)

Peter Gabriel on the tribute album Tower of Song (1995)

Genesis (a 1960s US band, not to be confused with the better-known UK band) as B-side to the single "Angeline" (1968)

George Hamilton IV on the album In the 4th Dimension (1969)

Nana Mouskouri on the album Fille du Soleil (2002)

Geoffrey Oryema on the tribute album I'm Your Fan (1991)

Pearls Before Swine on the album Balaklava (1968)

Nina Simone on To Love Somebody (1969)

Fairport Convention played the song live in the late 1960s, but never recorded a studio version.

Finnish rock musician Hector has made the song in Finnish.

Graeme Allwright recorded a French translation of the song.

Chanteuse Françoise Hardy also recorded a French translation of the song on her 1968 album Comment Te Dire Adieu

Bomb on the album Hate-Fed Love (1992)

Dianne Reeves on the album Bridges (1999)

Kevin Parent on the album Les vents ont changé (2001)

Jazz vocalist René Marie on the album Live at the Jazz Standard (2003), incorporating and blending the song with an a capella rendering of Boléro by Maurice Ravel.

Singer/guitarist Bob Morley on the album Reflections (Jewel Records LPS 299)

Dirty Three have performed an instrumental version of the song live numerous times.

Aga Zaryan on the album Picking up the Pieces (2006)

Alain Bashung on the album Bleu Pétrole (2008) French cover

Aretha Franklin on the album Rare & Unreleased Recordings From The Golden Reign Of The Queen Of Soul. The album, released in 2007, features outtakes from many of Franklin's 60s sessions with Jerry Wexler.

:)

Source(s): Wikipedia

Suzanne Cover

FMT featuring Camilla

Cheers:)