Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is it possible to close a bank account without going to the bank in person?

I have a bank account in an Eastern state and I'm probably never going back there ever again (the bank is PNC). I know I can transfer the remaining funds in it to my current account here on the West Coast, but can I actually formally CLOSE my account over the phone, without going there in person?

Favorite Answer

You should call the bank to be sure but....

You should be able to give them permission to close your account via a signed letter which you can mail or either fax in. If you wish to wire your money, include wire instructions in the letter. Otherwise, the bank can mail you a cashier's check in the amount of your balance.

• labove

How To Close Bank Account

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): close bank account bank person: https://shortly.im/4GdBA

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw2w6

To prevent fraud, if you don't show up in person with an ID they may require the letter to be notarized. You can find out very quickly by phoning the bank and asking them what the correct procedure is. If your accounts have a negative balance, it is possible they will not close the accounts until you have paid off the money you owe. If that is the reason you want to close them by letter rather than in person, their policy on closing accounts when money is owed is probably the same either way.

depends on the bank. But yes, more times than not you can close an account without ever going in the bank.

Hi I'm in the exact same situation right now with the same bank. What ended up happening? Did you have to go in or mail a letter? Did they charge you for taking your account to 0 without first closing it? Thanks!

If you leave the account in Zero balance, they account might close by itself. Now that is in case you do not have a minimum balance to keep. If you have a relationship with a banker you might be able to send them a letter with a Public Notary stamp stating that you are leaving the account at zero balance and you would like to close it.

• alix

I wish to ask the same question as the previous person.

This question is worth more attention