Chemical Bonds and Types of bonds and Writing Formulas, Naming Compounds-Physical Science?

I need help with my Physical Science homework!

1. Identify the forces that hold atoms and molecules together at the atomic level. Give an example of how these forces are involved in a chemical reaction.

2. Explain why an atom makes an ionic bond only with certain other atoms.

3. Write the names of these compounds: KCI, Cr^20^3, Ba(CIO^3), and PCI^3

4. Name Mg^3(PO^4)^2 - 4H20, and write the formula for calcium nitrate trigydrate.

5. Explain why sodium and potassium will or will not react to form a bond with each other.

Pleeeeeeeease help! I will give 10 points to whoever helps me the best! I just can't get these questions! (also, what science do you consider these questions??)

Thank you soooo much!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

1. Atoms and molecules are held together at the atomic level by the electromagnetic interactions between electrons, protons, and ions. For example, an ionic compound is held together by the attraction between the positive and negative charges of its constituent ions. Two atoms forming a covalent bond are held together by the mutual attraction they have toward one or more electrons. This interaction is quantized through the concepts of electronegativity and charge.

2. An atom will only make a bond with another atom that has an electronegativity (attraction to electrons) that is different enough from its own that one of the atoms can fully acquire one or more electrons from the other atom(s), forming ions and thus an ionic compound.

3. KCl: Potassium chloride, Cr2O3: Chromium (III) oxide, Ba(ClO3): Barium chlorate, PCl3: (Mono)phosphorus trichloride

4. Magnesium phosphate tribasic tetrahydrate (The tetrahydrate refers to the H2O, or the number of water molecules surrounding the compound, and the tribasic is a term that is used to identify the type of magnesium phosphate); Ca(NO3)2 . 3H2O

5. Sodium and potassium are both metals, and as such form intermolecular metallic bonds, which consist of many metal molecules surrounding each other with delocalized (free-floating is the best way to describe this, though the electrons are confined to the area around the molecules) electrons. They can be melted together into an alloy, where they form metallic bonds with each other, albeit without the presence of oxygen (these metals will oxidize and/or burn in the presence of oxygen at high temperatures). However, they will NOT form intramolecular (atom-to-atom) bonds, as metals generally do not do this with each other.

I would consider all of these questions to belong to inorganic chemistry.

• 3 years ago

Formulas For Physical Science

• 4 years ago

Oh snap! And along came Percent Ionic Character....which is just another refinement of Chemical Bonding....You can find periodic tables with this info tabulated on it. But how to determine it from Chem Formula....that skill will grow with your knowledge and experience in chemistry. Usually to "determine," which I interpret as "calculate," you need info regarding bond distances. But you can get good at rough guessing it after a short time. Salts are always Ionic, but sometimes a salt has a component with covalent bonds, like Sodium phosphate, which is Ionic in terms of its "bond" between the Metal and the Phosphate itself but has covalent bonds between Phosphorous and Oxygen atoms in the Phosphate. You just have to get used to the chemical species.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.