RazerVzk asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Why are drugs harmful to us?

I see many people taking about drugs and saying that it is harmful. But I don't understand. Is it very serious? Mind explaining what does it do to our bodies?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Different drugs have different effects on our bodies. Prescription drugs are generally beneficial, but misuse can cause illness or death.

The drugs you are talking about are recreational drugs that are non-prescription and generally illegal. The problem with these drugs are is that they are made by people who are out to make money and could be made from pretty much any substances.

When you buy drugs on the street corner you have no way of knowing what's actually in the stuff you've just bought, so you're taking a risk by taking it. Let's use marijuana as an example. Marijuana is basically the leaves of a plant that are dried and sold. The main component that makes one "buzz" is called THC. Often times drug dealers will add extra THC or other substances to make their "product" more intoxicating to the buyer. This is dangerous because as mentioned earlier you have no way of knowing exactly what you're putting into your body and what effect it might have. This becomes erxtremely dangerous when it comes to drugs like heroin. Many deaths have occured due to accidental overdose because people don't know what they're taking.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Why Are Drugs Harmful

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Almost all the cells in your body have an outter structure of particular type of fat. Many things cannot pass this and enter your cells, however, many drugs have a structure that can pass through this structure and enter the cells of the body. Considering that these can effect all tissues of the body (including brain!!) and have negative effects on how they normally function, it is not surprising why drugs have so many side-effects and can cause permanent damage.

These particular structures also make the drug had to be filtered out of the body by the liver and kidneys!

Bottomline: drugs interfere with how our body normally functions (this can be good when you think about things like mild pain relief), but not so good when we talk about illicit drugs that can cause permanent damage. So yes, be careful what you take because it can be very serious.

• Andrea
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I disagree fully, 100%. You have to figure in WHAT the caffine came from, its source, you cant just drink 20 pepsis and end up in the hospital. Pot is a whole other topic, but since you mentioned it, all I will say is what about Alcohol? There has been (and reported) more deaths & accidents involving Alcohol THAN ANY OTHER DRUG!!! Caffine will cause the downfall of Society? No, Idiots will do that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Drugs affect your brain physically. Some drugs can even cause mental disorders if taken for a very long time.

e.g. excess dopamine can cause schizophrenia.

Natural chemicals are produced in our body for different purposes, like seratonin helps us sleep or digest food (I think!) and when you take drugs it alters the body's natural functioning.

Basically most drugs, if taken in inappropriate amounts, make you lose control of yourself [like they can make you hyper, and eventually you''ll be addicted so you feel down without it]... plus the way it makes you look isn't too attractive either...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.