Tenant vs. Landlord (security deposit)?

Hello All, I am hoping someone can give me some LEGAL advice regarding the below situation (some of you may already be familiar with it since I've posted Qs about this in the past). I have a problem with mold in my bathroom. It's been an issue almost since I moved into my current apt. (2 years ago). I've... show more Hello All,

I am hoping someone can give me some LEGAL advice regarding the below situation (some of you may already be familiar with it since I've posted Qs about this in the past).

I have a problem with mold in my bathroom. It's been an issue almost since I moved into my current apt. (2 years ago). I've spoken to my Landlord and Super regarding this and the Landlord keeps giving me the run-around. The reason for the mold is because theres' a leak in the wall. The guy downstairs from me had to get a huge hole cut out of his ceiling because it was falling from the water damage. I've gotten fed up! Per someone's advice, I sent him a certfifed letter explaining the problem. I am giving him exactly one month from the date on that letter to get this problem fixed or I'm going to get a health inspector to come to my apartment and make this a legal issue.

My Q is - If the Landlord actually gets the mold removed (by removing my ceiling and replacing a new sheet rock), can he take the cost of the repairs out of my security deposit?

This Landlord is a real @$$hole who thinks he knows more than anyone. I speak from previous experiences with another repair issue I had with him when I first moved in.
Update: I live in New Jersey.