What does "prosecution withdrawn" mean in a case?

Does it mean there was no case to begin with or that the person who filed charges got their money and dropped the case? This is in regards to my roommate who had an issue with a previous leasing office.
Update: Oh that is interesting thank you sophist!
Update 2: Thank you Catherine- yes the amount due to the office was barely over $1,000 so I believe once they got their money they dropped the pursuit of legal counsel against him. It seems to me that the leasing office jumped he gun on filing paperwork against the former tenant. I think they were just bitter he was breaking... show more Thank you Catherine- yes the amount due to the office was barely over $1,000 so I believe once they got their money they dropped the pursuit of legal counsel against him. It seems to me that the leasing office jumped he gun on filing paperwork against the former tenant. I think they were just bitter he was breaking the lease.