Is it worth Buying a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax TRD Off Road 4x2?

I live in L.A and really like the new Tundra Crew Max, but would it be worth buying this truck. This would be my first car off a dealer. I have been looking and the prices and estimating the payment, gas and insurance and it seems pricey. Is there any one that owns a 2008 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L TRD Off Road 4x2 and lives in L.A in that stop and go traffic? If so please let me know how you do on the MPG and paying at the pump.

• hello
    Favorite Answer

in LA traffic, around 10-12 mpg... tops.

that much truck, if you don't intend to tow or haul with it is a waste any time.

also, contrary to toyota's typical reputation, the new toyota tundra's have the lowest rated reliability of any fullsize truck right now...

(CR, JD powers)

The reason that you can get good deals of large pick up trucks now is that they consume a great deal of fuel. Think much less than 15 mpg.

Note that the Tundra is not a car, it is a truck - if you are planning on using it as a car - you are paying a fortune for appearance. And will keep paying with fuel etc.

In my experience, the Double Cab standard 4.0L V6 is giving me more than 18 MPG in town. As for fuel economy, it doesn't make any sense to talk about it. All this kind of trucks are simply thirsty monsters.

An excellent choice that will get in the high TEENS for MPG on the freeway. (if you drive like I do. slower)

If you buy one, go to LONGO Toyota for the best deal. They are the #1 dealer for something like 28 years.

I buy ALL my Toyotas there.

• Evgeni

The Tundra is extremely nice, extremely powerful and extremely roomy...

...but if you don't need a truck, don't buy a truck.

My friend had one with all the extras. He loved and bragged about it for the first year then it started having numerous problems. Apparently, it has a one year life span. After that the tiny little nuclear bomb contained in every import exploded and fused all that jap crap together.

Yes, absolutely buy a giant V8 truck to drive around in stop & go LA traffic. Gas is super-cheap and it's only going to get cheaper. And the resale on giant trucks is great these days. Nobody is going to think you are a complete moron when they see you driving around in it. Great idea!