Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Is using the term UPPITY racist now?

Apparently so. A Georgia congressman called Obama uppity and is now being called a racist for using that word to describe him.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/westmoreland-c...

elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/05/georgia-congressman-calls-obamas-uppity/

Exactly what are we allowed to say about Obama that is not racist? It seems like any criticism at all is considered a racial attack.

Favorite Answer

Uppity? Youve got to be kidding me.

This political correctness crap has gone way too far and is way out of hand.

• marje

Uppity Definition

Definition Of Uppity

• MS S

I guess uppity is racist in some parts of the country, I had the same question but my DH confirmed that.

I always considered the word uppity to describe people like Hillary

Yes, it is a racist and negative term when used by a white man toward a black man!!!! Let me help educate the ignorant....it means those Black foke who can form a sentence and have risen above the crappy life style that some have grown accustomed to seeing us in are viewed as uppity. You know...we've gotten too big for our britches.... We don't know our place. Like it was said...if you are not African American or/and if you are not over a certain age...you will never understand.

Also, if you tend to think Democrats and African Americans are "once again pulling the race card"...your mind is too closed to even logically answer this question.

• sarah4 months agoReport

black foke or black folk ........ who's ignorant!!!!!!

I have been called uppity, sorry if you feel it is a racist term. definition below:

"putting on or marked by airs of superiority : arrogant, presumptuous"

don't see anything about being black in the definition

*Edit: Congratulations to Obama and his campaign, who along with Al Sharpton, have set black-white relations back even further. When every negative comment a white person says is racist, it gets really old....

*Another edit: I have lived in the south my entire life, and have never heard anyone called an "uppity n---------". N------- is offensive, not uppity. Pick your spots if you want to use the "race card"

Source(s): Webster Dictionary

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is using the term UPPITY racist now?

Exactly...

Source(s): term uppity racist now: https://shortly.im/zeYpd

Yes, it is or can be. It's code for "uppity n___ r" which was a common phrase when I was growing up meaning that a black person was trying to accomplish something above "their station in life." Coming from a old white southern, chances are the Georgia congressman did mean it as a racial insult. If a very young person from the north said it who wasn't aware of the history of how the word was used in the past, then they might think it's about elitism.

Source(s): . old person

why are the obama's portrayed as uppity just because he went to school and got an education and made something of himself I thought this was the American dream.When did going to harvard become a bad thing?

I have never heard a white candidate critizied for getting an education

Ask any Black American, what they think of the word "Uppity."

You must be very young.

If someone said, Palin is an uppity woman for even thinking she could be in politics, that would be sexist.

Using the word when applied to a black American, inplies that they should be put in their place.

Then it's time to stop this nonsense.

Yes.........Obama is UPPITY........which means......Obama is a SNOB.

All it does it make it more obvious that the term "racist" is being used wayyyyyyyy too often and will make us all numb to this if they don't stop abusing it.

UPDATE:

Give me a break.........noone called him an uppity n ******. He said Uppity........it means a snob if used alone. Lord people read too much into it.

Uppity = Snob and he is a snob.