What happens when you take a double dose of loratadine/claritin?

They say don't take two doses, but one doesn't normally work too well and I can't afford a doctor to ask. Anyone had any experiences?

Favorite Answer

The answer to that depends on whether your dose is prescription strength or over the counter strength. The answer also depends on your weight. If you are over 200 pounds, sometimes 2 tablets is really the effective dose. While homeboy above me is mostly correct, he is not totally correct. They also have to make sure the dose is safe for 12 year olds that weigh 100 pounds to get the correct labeling. And while there are only a certain number of sites (correct), taking more increases the odds that those receptors remain blocked from the effects of histamine. Risks of taking too much (overdose levels) include liver and kidney issues.

Let's ask Mr. Pharmacologist to read a little about the clinical trials and comments from the FDA (link attached).

You may want to consider another third generation H1 antagonist like Zyrtec. Zyrtec is now offered over the counter. This medication has a greater affinity for the H1 (histamine) receptor and is typically more effective than Claritin. Some populations find that Zyrtec works but it makes them a little drowsy. For some, drowsy is a lot better than snotty, sneezy, wheezy, and miserable.

Source(s): BS in biochemistry, 1 year of graduate level immunology and mammalian physiology with a special interest in allergies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loratadine

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): double dose loratadine claritin: https://tr.im/TVGV2

You will waste your tablets!

The recommended dose has been established after extensive trials and for a good reason.

Essentially you only have a certain number of "sites" on which the loratadine will bind and have an effect.

Taking more will not increase the effect, it will just mean you pass more out in your urine as waste.

I would suggest trying another non-sedating anti-histamine

Source(s): Im am a Pharmacologist For the record, the dose is 10mg for 6 year and above - you will NEVER be prescribed more over the counter or prescription. in response to the FDA - the fact that the drug was granted a licence at the above dose - regardless of throw away comments should be evidence enough If you wish me to include ref to my 14 years of Pharmacy experience, interest in Pharmacoimmunology then I will be more than happy to do so.

Liver Toxicity:-(