what are foreign (especially american/canadian) opinions and views of the irish people and ireland as a nation?

if you could break down your answer under the following headings

how many counties do we have?

did any of you ever believe that leprechauns existed?

would you like to visit ireland?

how many of us do you think use irish as our first language?

do you think as a nation that we hate the british people?

what irish stereotypes have you heard?

how intelligent do you think we are as a nation?

what is our largest county and longest river?

capital city?

do you know why ireland is split in two?

any and all extra info is extremely welcome

go raibh maith agat (irish for thanks) phonetically guh-rev-mawh-a-gute

for lizzy i believe that you have four provinces and that you as a nation are bilingual and and speak french your capital is ottowa or ontario not sure sorry small amounts of soft drugs are legal there and ye are a nation of hunters and gun owners but have a tiny gun crime rate and if memory serves the rosenbergs (the spies)were canadian and sold american nuclear secrets to the russians and this and other things has led to some anti canadian sentiment with your southern neighbours hope that helps mate oh ya we have 32 counties 26 in the south and 6 in the north

for julia that was very clear and concise dont worry about the stereotypes i for one find them extremely entertaining and how some of you guys pronounce some of our words is hilarious ifound it refreshing that you know our culture that well thanks a lot for the answer and taking the time to do it

Favorite Answer

how many counties do we have?

There are 32 including Northern Ireland, Yes? Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Carlow, Kildare, Meath, Louth, Monaghan, Cavan, Longford, Londonderry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Mayo, Galway and Clare.

Oh, I totally just noticed you already told Lizzy that answer. Dang.

When I was little I believed everything existed. I still believe in plenty of things having to do with the supernatural...including the Sidhe or Fairie Folk...but as for *what* they are, I don't really know.

would you like to visit ireland?

I have visited Ireland as part of a study abroad experience and it was the best time of my life. I plan to return.

As a first language? Hmm...probably not very many percentage-wise. Isn't it taught as a first language in the gaeltachtai? Or are those just locations where it is a predominant language and they really make sure you learn it? I just remember driving down the west coast and seeing all kinds of things in Irish Gaelic, like signs and books and directions... and I was glad I studied.

I would have to say no, because I've met plenty of Irish people who don't hate the British...but, I do understand that there is a long-standing historical tension between both countries, so it's difficult to say, I suppose.

what irish stereotypes have you heard?

Ugh. Ok. Let me just say that I abhor stereotypes. We see a lot of them here (I'm in Texas) around St. Patrick's Day...and it's everything from the tacky headbands with googly shamrocks sticking off them to T-Shirts with drunkards falling over being called "Irish yoga"....It's probably pretty insulting. I apologize on behalf of my ignorant brethren. Also, I play traditional Irish music as part of my career (or hopeful career) and it always bothers me when people call everything "Riverdancing" or "Jigs"....and then again with the whole drunk thing...everyone always just assumes that Ireland is full of green beer, but I never once had green beer when I was in Ireland, and the only drunks I came across were the American tourists. I don't know. There are so many incredibly ignorant and bigoted stereotypes about the Irish that I can't even begin to address them all. I'm so sorry for that. If I could fix it, I would. I love the Irish people for how they really are.

Very! I passed through a school in Fairymount, Co. Roscommon while I was in Ireland and those kids were really sharp! Plus, don't you guys have a fantastic economy, don't you? The highest income per capita in Europe, I think? Or at least it was at one point? You guys have to either be very smart or very lucky. ;) Or both.

I think Cork is the largest county? I don't know if that's by population or land area or both. I just remember learning that in one of my classes. The River Shannon is the longest river, I believe.

capital city?

Dublin is the capital of Ireland, and Belfast is for Northern Ireland.

In 1921, a treaty was signed between the leaders of the Irish Republic and the British Government following the Easter Rising and Irish War for Independence. Northern Ireland, being mostly Protestant, opted out of home rule and chose to remain part of the United Kingdom, while "Southern Ireland" maintained independence as the Irish Civil War was fought until 1923, I believe.

Or something like that.

Ok, can I just say that this was a really entertaining way to spend the time I had on my hands. I hadn't reviewed things like this in quite along time and it was nice to have the refresher. Thanks! Hope I represented my American counterparts well!

Source(s): I took a course during my undergraduate degree on Irish History, Folklore, Music, and Tradition that resulted in a study abroad opportunity. I now practice Irish traditional music and study Ireland's beautiful culture as I prepare for my career as a professor, so I hope I'm on the right track!
  • Lizzy

Im Canadian...not sure about the number of counties, but there are many ( I live in a neighbourhood in Vancouver named Killarney ) .. I would love to visit Ireland one day. I imagine most families speak English as their first language these days. The one stereotype that I think is common in North America is that the Irish are big drinkers ( but also that they have great humour) Ive never questioned the intelligence of the Irish as a nation. Ireland is split in two due to the religious differences of the Protestants and the Catholics..

Now, tell me everything you know about Canada!