Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

When to call army IG?

I have an issue with my unit, I am on con leave ( difficult pregnancy) Now my 1SG has issues with this...she has demanded that the surgeon contact my civillian doctor to talk with him, my question is, should I call IG, i have put up with so much but now my medical privacy is being invaded, can they make my doctor tell them anything?

I'm sorry I don't know how to reply to the responses. I'm new to the site. I understand all of the responses, I don't have anything to hide. I just am sad about all the slander I've heard and don't totally understand why this is going on. I feel like it's a personal attack I guess. I go to a civillian doctor because there is no military medical facility close by. I'll just cooperate and pray that i can go on with my pregnancy in peace......I don't ever want to have to call IG lol I don't want the stigma of being THAT female....thankyou all for the responses.

Favorite Answer

You can go to the IG at any time. The problem is this...the unit commander can inquire into your medical status at any time. There are no medical privacy issues as far as he is concerned. Further, the surgeon will not do anything that violated the law...and he/she does not work for your company commander or first sergeant. If the commander (or his representative's) request for information violates privacy laws...then your Doc will not release the info...or the surgeon will tell them it violated the law. The IG will make the regulatory determination on whether procedure or the reg was violated. I don't think in your case it will be to your favor.

The IG's first question will always be "Did you try working this out through your chain of command?"

Now that being said, what are you medically hiding? If the 1SG wanted to talk to the doc that may not be right, but doctor to doctor is fine. Sounds like you need a medical reason to be on con leave and only a medical doctor can do that for you.

• Annie

Your unit has the right to get your official diagnosis and copies of the recommendation of bed rest from your doctor. If you had used military docs, they would have forwarded the information to the orderly room immediately upon making the diagnosis and recomendation, but since you are using civilian docs, the military will need the documents from them to support your need for con leave. It really is no different than a civilian employer wanting a letter from your doctor to document sick time. My suggestion is to call your doctor, tell him he will be contacted by the military and give him permission to discuss both his diagnosis and reasoning for bed rest with the military surgeon. I would also ask that he put his recommendations and findings in a letter, along with his contact information and you provide a copy to your 1SG...this may take care of the whole thing.

Convalescent leave is not a cut and dry thing. There are certain regulations that determine this and paperwork that have to be filed in order for it to all be classified as that as well as meet certain requirements. If your civilian doctor is not one that was referred by the military then you have broken a regulation right there. It is against regulations to see a civilian doctor first or with out being referred in other than emergency situations. Secondly if your leave is not classified as con leave but rather regular leave then it can be canceled or changed and any portion of it that you have taken is chargeable leave. There is also limited duty options for situations like this and it sounds like that is what is being considered as opposed to you just sitting home for the next four or five months and if your situation does not better meet that criteria. If it can be shown that you either knowingly or unknowingly violated these regulations or that your civilian doctor somehow compounded this situation then I am afraid that it will be you that ultimately will pay the price. You need to sit down and determine what the situation is, what is driving this and make sure that you are in compliance.

• Chris

Your 1SG has the right to have the brigade surgeon talk to your civilian doctor. Why are you seeing a civilian doctor in the first place? The the post hospital refer you to him?