What happened to MTV? The VMA Award Show was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Are kids just dumber?

Russsell Brand was funny in Sarah Marshall, but he blew as a host. Nothing was funny. Nothing surprising happened. The awards were a joke since all that music is corporate pop. Jonas Brothers, Pink, Paramour?, LW, all for kiddies who haven't hit puberty. I know every generation's music seems like crap to everyone older, but c'mon. Just like nobody listens to Backstreet now, no one will listen to any act on that show in five years. MTV used to put real bands like U2 on. Today they ignore Radiohead and Arcade Fire and Beck and any other decent band. Do the bands need to be younger? Put Bright Eyes or Grizzly Bear on there. They are serving crap sandwiches to kids who don't know any better. If they put good music on, the kids would adapt and possibly grow some pupes.

It's not just that stupid award show either. The first Real World was an interesting social experiment that touched on race and class. Now it's just spring break. I honestly wish the entire channel would explode.

Am I just being old? The first person who just types "yes" is an unfunny, dumb shitebird.

Best Answer

Since Mtv stopped play music, their main audience is teeny boppers. and they have to cator to their biggest demographic. but i agree with you, MTV sucks now.

No it wasn't one of the worst things to happen to the music world. Some of it's shows, especially Headbangers Ball and 120 Minutes showed the world music that until that time didn't receive a lot of airplay. If it hadn't have been for MTV, I'd have never gotten into bands like the Violent Femmes, The Sugar Cubes and The Jesus and Mary Chain because they weren't getting airplay on commercial radio. Every generation has always had it's commercial/corporate artists. Madonna is a good example of commercialized music no matter what decade it lands in. There is still good music being made out there now, one just has to dig a little to find it.

As usuall music tends to decline in my opinion. It has always been like this... jazz and classical music if you see is way more sophisticated and requires more musical skill than any music coming after that. To my opinion music has always declined, and my personal liking stopped at the end of hip hop,,, basically anything after hip hop is just trash (my opinion so dont bash). And MTV is a business so all they want to do is sell, and music today is all about the image and not about the actual music being played. MTV should be called fashion tv, cuz thats what they really are.

I am 18 and I fairly sure I'm a teeny bopper. But I totally agree. I thought the bands they had were not very good.

Miley Cyrus is 15! And she dresses and acts like she is 25 and her music is cute and catchy but its not worthwhile music.

I totally agree when you say that the quality of music is going down. There are no really impressive bands around.

I think Russell's quality, but you're right. It isn't good music, just the same disney noise played over and over again. In a few years, we can only hope these preteens will take some initiative and find music for themselves instead of just passively accepting these mediocre contrived musical groups. I hate MTV,it's nothing but reality tv ****, but some of their branches still show music videos, i.e. MTVU which shows a lot of indie and foreign bands.

mtv is a sellout. they're not about the music anymore they're about making money and right now Disney music is cashing in but i do have to say this. pink's performance was pretty bad*ss. i happened to be there at the paramount studios with all the fire and sh*t.

and this russel brand thing doesn't change my opinion on him. i still love him.

It was really fun walking around the paramount studios. i felt like i was in new york.

yes