Should I get an old Mercedes or BMW as my first car?

I will be turning 18 soon and its time for me to get a car! I want to know if it would be a good idea to get an old german car? I'm 6'2 and I am having a hard time finding a car I fit in with my long legs, I seem to fit in german one though. I just do not want to buy a money pit!

Best Answer

If you don't want a money pit then don't buy either of those two cars. I had an old Benz once and every time I had anything done to it, it was very expensive. Honda and Toyota are your best bets for dependability and economy. Just test drive until you find a fit.

• Sosumi

Well if you dont want a money pit, you might want to look at a different manufacturers. BMWs and Mercedes are both expensive to service and I wouldn't recommend them as a first car unless you have a steady source of income. Otherwise they are a pain to keep up on a tight budget.

Source(s): Had a mercedes as a first car.

Nope. Old German cars are money pits.

Go find you a 95-97 Crown Victoria clone.

Maybe even a police interceptor.

Solid on gas, cheap parts, safe, roomy...all that you wanted.

I know, old folk car. That's any FWD v6 car such as a Buick.

Both are money pits. All expensive cars are expensive to fix. Get an Avalon by Toyota if you need size they don't break down. Or get one with a warranty. I have a Jaguar Xtype and it is not bad as far as reliability. But they are expensive to fix. Luxury cars are expensive.

If your 18 the insurance on a luxury car would be extreme if it was older the repair costs would be prohibitive. I would recommend a car similiar to a pontiac g-6, nissan altima or similiar. They have good gas milage, low repair rates and are spacious without being overly priced or overly expensive to insure.

Not the best idea for your first car. but if you must BMW make sure you have some money stashed away for the unexpected

• BMWs I think are more affordable than Mercs. Good luck with maintenance fees.

I would say neither. Both will be money pits. How much are you planning on spending? Will you be driving in snow?

im a car lover and had both..the best of both..for you id go for a bmw..leave the mercedes for later

The BMW's are nice.I think you should go with the BMW.If you have the money.If not then do the mercedes.