What is the deal with Russia's nuclear weapons?

People have said we have been dismantling their nukes since the end of the cold war. Others say that they still have thousands. So who here knows, FOR SURE, the truth behind what is going on with them?

Favorite Answer

The truth is that they have been destroying their nuclear weapons. Yes, they still have several thousand of them. The US has been destroying its older weapons and replacing them with newer safer weapons.

Lickers - The entire worlds nuclear weapons arsenal is nothing compared to the destructive power of a half mile wide asteroid. If something like that wouldn't destroy the earth, then I doubt that man could get the job done with the few nuclear weapons that we have.

Oh don't get me wrong, those weapons could kill many millions, but they wouldn't come anywhere close to destroying the world.

Both sides, in accordance with treaties have been dismantling warheads. How many we each have is not going to been to the public. Nor should it be. I have no doubt that they have some we don't know about and goes both ways. I can't blame them and I would hope we do the same. A little paranoia is normal.

They have actually been pretty good about sending theirs to the USA for reprocessing into fuel grade Uranium. The don't have to do that, they can do that themselves.

A bigger concern to me is that after the breakup of the USSR that like any major disruption in a government there was, and probably still is some element of corruption and opportunity that has allowed some of their resources to be diverted to people with strictly personal profit motives. Probably not good for the USA or Russia.

Both are true. They have been dismantling weapons system for years and yes they still have thousands.

We (the US government) know "FOR SURE" because we have satellites.

Go to yahoo maps sometime and view the satellite view of your house at the strongest magnification. Now figure that the NSA has technology to increase that by a factor of 10. They can read your license plate from outer space.

Russia got rid of some of it's nukes. Just a symbolic move. Not sure what's the point of this. Russia and the US still have enough of them to destroy earth several times over :)

Trust me...the Russians never left themselves undefended for a second.

It is possible to take the core components of a nuke and upgrade the vehicle, trigger, etc. and your good to go.

The Russians are not a bunch of terrorists hiding in caves.

They make a point of knowing what technology we have and matching it if not surpassing it.

Keep in mind that these are the guys who beat us into outer space.

They still have them. Satellites like Ukraine have dismantled many nukes, but Russia still has thousands. We can't dismantle Russia's nukes. They're aimed at us, of course.

Both are true. We have been working with Russia to demolish many old Soviet weapons, as well as many of our own. Even so, they still have thousands left - and so do we.

What is going on with our nukes? "who here knows, FOR SURE, the truth behind what is going on with them? "

The Truth.

No one knows.

dont know

Source(s): my thoughts