Where is the vehicle speed sensor on a 97 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 2WD? ?

I could find the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor on transmission but I just couldn't find the vehicle speed sensor. My van had a P0500 code for failed vehicle speed sensor. I bought the vehicle speed sensor from autozone and they also have listing for transmission speed sensor (input and output) so I am sure they are different but I couldn't locate it. Their location listed for it is just: Transmission / Transfer case without any picture help. I've looked for hours for it. I am able to get picture of the location for the input and output speed sensor on the transmission and they looked different from the vehicle speed sensor. I've looked for a long time but still unable to find it. Please help.

Favorite Answer

As the 3.8 was only offered with the 41TE, your TCM (transmission control module) uses the output speed sensor to calculate the signal used by the MIC (Mechanical Instrument Cluster) for road speed.

The output sensor is the one located to the right of the solenoid pack on the front of the transaxle.

http://julien.manche.free.fr/chrysler/a604/41te_fr...

The illustration shows a pre 96 trans, the input and output sensors are the same, but your trans has a PRNDL switch instead of separate Neutral safety and reverse light switches.

Source(s): ASE Master certified 16yrs.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I could find the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor on transmission but I just couldn't find the vehicle speed sensor. My van had a P0500 code for failed vehicle speed sensor. I bought the vehicle speed sensor from autozone and they also have listing for transmission speed sensor (input...

Source(s): vehicle speed sensor 97 dodge grand caravan 3 8l 2wd: https://bitly.im/uwBOL

was the pcm replaced recently? if its a 4 speed auto the output speed sensor is used for vehicle speed and the only way that code can come up is if the pinion factor is not programmed into the pcm/tcm. if it is a 3 speed then the speed sensor is located on the trans where the passenger side axle comes out of the trans.

there isn't a 'speed sensor', either on the speedometer or in the trans. if your speddometer is broken that's seperate from the vaccuum apperatus used for the transmission. it uses demand (how much you press the gas/intake of the carb, and output, torque on the drivetrain. the speedomoter is attached to the final drive/axel. this is why getting different size tires changes 'how fast' you're going. you need to go to a shop or buy the repair manual.

You can find the sensor above where the right axle goes into the transmission. It will be easier to find it from the bottom of the car. You can't really see it from under the hood. It's a black connector with a red locking tab most likely. Hope you find it man!!