How Can I Start Dating Again?

In the last few years, I've managed to get engaged, pregnant, miscarry, get cheated on, and go through a stressful and long break up. It's been about a year and I think I'm ready to start dating again. The only problem is, my friends dont know anyone worth setting me up with, I dont hang around bars, and I'm pretty shy and dont normally just approach men. Any advice how to find someone? I'm ready to find a companion.

Favorite Answer

Join a sporting team, or something similar... You have to be out and about to meet people.

Otherwise, try an online dating service. I know friend who have used them and it surprisingly has turned out really well.

I met my partner at a set of traffic lights when he pulled up beside me. When it is meant to be you will meet the right person.

...

• Andi

I feel for you. I was married for 8 years (with him for 11) and he left me in the worst possible way after 11 years. I took a job in another city to get away from things and I ended up moving back to my hometown after 2 years because I worked so much and never met a single friend, let alone a guy. So, I'm much happier now, but still looking for someone. Here's what I suggest:

1. Have your friends at least keep their eyes open for someone for you.

2. You may not want to, but an internet dating site isn't that bad. I've joined one and I don't go around meeting weirdos and having one night stands with them or anything sleazy....BUT it's what you make of it, and I think it's a nice way to "meet" people that you wouldn't have otherwise met. I haven't dated anyone from the site yet, but I pass messages back and forth with some fun guys. It's good for the ego:-)

3. Take a class, bowl, go to the gym- whatever gets you some exposure to new people. You never know who you might bump into, or be partnered up with, or be approached by. Twice I've met someone unexpectedly when I wasn't even looking.

*** Keep the faith and stay positive and take care of yourself- mentally, physically, and emotionally. You WILL meet someone again. Just take your time and don't be too eager to jump into something- it's stressful and causes turmoil.

ah yes i feel u completely, i got otu of a 5 yr and right off teh bat i had this girl that was already interested so i got lucky taht the timing was there (not so much anymore but thats another story)....look, what u need to do is just start talking im serious i dont care if u r just standin in line at ur local cvs n maybe the dude in front of u is cute or sumthin find something he's holding or maybe he's lookin at a magazine just mention sumthin say hi just say sumthin! yea its not always gonna come out right n u might sound like an idiot sometimes but thats just ur lack of confidence cuz u been out the loop for so long, now its time 4 u to build it back up one layer at a time, as 4 ur ex no one person is the same so forget abouyt that crap completely and just make convo with random people n always be positive it draws goofd things to you maybe not right away n it might take a while but eventually you'll get ur groove back (no pun intended haha!) :)

You have had it tough. I think you should try going to nice pubs where you can have a relaxing drink and meet guys easily. Attend house warming parties too. When I wanted to meet guys (I am with someone now) I would go out and just try and stand or sit near guys I thought were nice and then just start up a conversation like "Are you guys having a nice night?" keep it casual to begin with. And yeah, keep an eye out for guys you think you could get to know a little more and just take a deep breathe and be confident.

I am not the best person to answer this. However I have seen this happen again and again. Other people have mentioned please don't rush things and get hooked up with the first person. This always seems to happen. People rarely meet their soul mates at bars and clubs. I suggest going out with friends and things like that.

just ask out the next decent guy you talk to, he might not be your soulmate but at least you will be dating again. dont go for anything serious for a while. after a couple months you can start searching for a real relationship

• Shorty

Well it does happen when you least expect it. I met my fiancee online in an AOL chatroom. I wasn't even looking at all. A co-worker of mine met her husband at a bus stop. Just look friendly, smile and men will approach you. :)

• im sorry about all that. its good that your ready to find someone, but dont rush it. in the end everything will work out. Good Luck!!

shake it all off

let the past go, life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets

so put yourself out there

travel places

Got to go out to make it happen, cant expect other people to do your work. You could also try online dating as well if your picky.