promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What do you know about the Chicago Annenberg Challenge?

I don't understand the criticism about Obama's link to the CAC. Please explain. Seems to me it is a lot of hoopla about nothing. What is wrong with trying to raise money for schools?

Update:

Also, please answer my question about "Public Allies" and Obama here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200809...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This was an organization to better the schools/education in Chicago and worked with the state and other community businesses in Illinois to advance and create a better education for the children.

Bill Ayers founded this organization. Senator Obama was on it's board for several years. The organization was incorporated into a different one well after Senator Obama was no longer a board member.

All records on the organization are available to the public at the UIC (University of Illinois in Chicago).

Having grown up in the early 60's....the connection people are trying to make between Senator Obama (who couldn't have been but 7-8 at the time)....and Mr.Ayers who was a very strong anti war activist back during that time, is such a huge stretch it's mind boggling....

Most of the people I knew back then that were protestor's, some whom got arrested, all moved on with life, went on to get Master's Degree's or PhD's and hold very decent jobs now....Just as Mr. Ayer's did.

Are the protestor's that were at the RNC going to be looked at as horrible people when they reach older age.....

Seriously, this is a non-issue....

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hope this helps you,

http://www.annenberginstitute.org/challenge/sites/...

The Chicago Annenberg Challenge

$49.2 million, 2-to-1 matching challenge grant

Chicago, Illinois

Chicago Annenberg Challenge

The Chicago Annenberg Challenge has closed. For more information, contact the Annenberg Institute for School Reform.

........................ The Chicago Annenberg Challenge worked to increase the ability of schools to better themselves by investing in the "on the ground" improvement efforts of networks - schools connected with an external partner organization. Simultaneously, the Chicago Annenberg Challenge contributed groundbreaking research to the field of education concerning how to improve schools. By offering support through professional development and technical assistance, teaching and learning improved, the quality and quantity of professional development increased, and the community became more knowledgeable and better equipped to create successful school reform.

The Chicago Annenberg Challenge helped to build a successor organization, the Chicago Public Education Fund, which continues to invest in creative solutions for critical educational issues. With a focus upon principal and teacher leadership, the Fund has supported such programs as Teach for America, Golden Apple Teacher Education program (GATE), and New Leaders for New Schools.

RESOURCES

The Chicago Public Education Fund - successor organization to the Chicago Challenge

Evaluation: The Chicago Annenberg Research Project at the Consortium on Chicago School Research has numerous reports available in PDF Format and to order, including the final evaluation report, The Chicago Annenberg Challenge: Successes, Failures, and Lessons for the Future (August 2003).

• 1 decade ago

Troopshome: You beat me to the punch on that one, but I am going to pick up where you left off.

Ray: I recommend you google it..

The Annenberg Foundation, a charitable family trust, was created on July 1, 1989 by media magnate and former Ambassador to the Court of St. James's Walter H. Annenberg. Initial funding of $1.2 billion came from the sale of Triangle Publications, the last media property held by Annenberg. The foundation is based in St. David's, Pennsylvania. Currently, The Foundation has a priority on granting funds for reform of elementary and secondary public school systems. The Foundation oversees the funding of the Annenberg Challenge.

Since its founding, it has awarded over 5,200 grants, which total in excess of $2.8 billion. [1]

The Foundation is known for many cutting edge programs and especially for coining and developing the concept of Project Based Philanthropy. A recent example of this is Not A Cornfield Project in Los Angeles.[citation needed]

The current president, chairman and sole director of the Foundation is Leonore Annenberg, widow of Ambassador Annenberg, and a former United States Chief of Protocol. Their daughter, Wallis Annenberg is the vice president.

The CAC's successful grant application was written in 1993 by William Ayers, a professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago.[2][3] After extensive community-based discussions also involving Anne Hallett of the Cross City Campaign for Urban School Reform, and Warren Chapman of the Joyce Foundation.

At its founding, the Annenberg Challenge was made up of three constituent parts:

The Chicago School Reform Collaborative, co-chaired by William C. Ayers;

a Board of Directors initially recruited by the Collaborative, which was chaired from 1995 to 2000 by Barack Obama[4], at the time a practicing attorney.

It was designed to pump more money into Public Schools, in hopes it would improve the schools, but William Ayers funneled the money into other uses.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes:

The CAC claimed McCain's anti-america propaganda should be fair game in the election. McCain fought long and hard to have it buried.

Obama, realizing he will beat McCain anyway, told the CAC to lay off, take it easy. And in the process, he looked 10X cooler than Grampy McSame.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i lived in chicago my whole life and i have no idea what that is

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bill Ayers - American bomb maker and murderer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.