Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji - Japanese Language?

Could someone explain to me, in detail what the difference is between these three scripts in Japanese.

I know that Katanaka is for loanwords... I know the very broad idea of what these differences are, but if someone could explain to me in a way that really makes sense...

Please!

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Kanji are Chinese characters which the Japanese borrowed about 1600 years ago, via Korea, to write their language. Each character is a word with a meaning; in Japanese, the characters are used mostly to write nouns and the stems of verbs, proper names, etc. Today the Japanese use roughly 2,000 of the existing 50,000 or so Chinese characters. Hiragana and katana were derived from the kanji but are syllabaries, i.e., each symbol is a full syllable (ka, shi, na, hu, etc.), and there are just under 50 signs in both hiragana and katakana. Basically, hiragana is used to write everything that's not in kanji, i.e., all kinds of words but especially verb endings, grammatical particles, and words for which people don't bother to write the kanji. Katakana is used mostly for foreign words, but also for the names of plants and animals and as we would use Italics. All three, plus the Roman alphabet, are used to write Japanese, and you have to know all three to be literate in Japanese.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

katakana - is the writing that the Japanese use to write foreign words.

Hiragana - is used to write normal japanese words

Kanji - is used to write the whole word in japanese.

• 1 decade ago

This question has been asked a billion times. Go online and search.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Other people have asked this same question: http://answers.yahoo.com/search/search_result;_ylt...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Oxygen
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Here you'll get detailed information

as much detail as you want

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_writing_syst...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.