During DISK CLEANUP, is it safe to check the box that says: Compress Old Files?

I just recently had my computer serviced & they replaced the hard drive, installed the drivers & then had to manually install Windows Service Pack 3 (KB936929). Now when I click on Local Disk (C:) Properties, the amount of disk space used went from 5000 to 9000, so I clicked on disk clean up & the is a box next to Compress old files 198,963K:

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o81/roniceb/?ac...

Is it safe to delete those files?

Oh, I forgot... what about the WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files?

Favorite Answer

It is safe to compress them. However, any time you try to access those compressed files, you'll see a bit of a slowdown as the file is read or written to (because the operating system has to compress or decompress the file it is working with).

It isn't actually deleting any files when you do that, though -- just packing them so they take up less space on the disk (sort of the way a ZIP file works, but transparently so you don't notice it).

Yes it is safe. By checking the box beside Compress old Files, you are not actually deleting any files. Rather, the computer just "archives" them in a sense. It rearranges your old files so that your PC will save more storage space.

• ?

Yes it is safe to compress those files and also it is probably safe to delete them too as they are files that sit dormant in your computer after only being use once like temporary internet files and the like.

Space is space, but when the old files are still used then this is a bad idea. But when I look at the screenshot then it's good to do, because it saves disk space (every bit is good).

Really depends. If you still are going to use old files, then probably not. Otherwise i'd go with compress old files.

• ~o0o~

just check "Compress Old Files" for security reasons. you might use it in the future.

WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files = untick it

Yes, all it compresses is uneccesary files...

yes

yup yup...as long as you dont need those files already..

make sure you dont need them before doing so..